Does Stamp Constitute A Signature As Per UCP And ISBP?

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
nesarul
First Name: Nesarul
Last Name: Hoque
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Does Stamp Constitute A Signature As Per UCP And ISBP?

Post by nesarul » Sun May 25, 2008 9:19 pm

Dear Sir,
pls share your views on the below topic:
According to article 3, paragraph 3,

A document may be signed by handwriting, facsimile signature, perforated signature, STAMP [EMPHASIS ADDED] , symbol or any other mechanical or electronic method of authentication.

from the above interpretation, w come to know that “STAMP” is a one kind of form by which one can satisfied the requirement of signature.

According to sub article 19(a)(i), 20 (a)(i), 21 (a)(i) and so on....

this sub article started with “ indicate the name of the carrier and be ‘SIGNED’ by [EMPHASIS ADDED]

whereas according to sub article 25 (a) (i):
indicate the name of the courier service and be STAMPED OR SIGNED (EMPHASIS ADDED]

from the sub article 25 (a) (i):, it seems to me that stamp is not one of the form of signature, which is apart by the word “OR’

again if I consider, stamp is a one of form of signature, then transport document such as 19(a)(i), 20 (a)(i), 21 (a)(i) be satisfied by merely putting an stamp without requirement of handwriting, facsimile signature, perforated signature etc.

Query:

how can you correlate above?
thnaks
nesar

cristiand969
First Name: Cristian
Last Name: D.
Organization: Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Re: signature problem

Post by cristiand969 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:45 pm

You must definitely see a courier transport document to make the difference. As far as I have seen ' stamp' with regard to courier receipt is like an onboard notation, is a stamp with a pickup date including also the name of the courier. Word 'Signed' does not come to contradict: courier could either manualy sign courier receipt or mark with an notation stamp indicating the date of goods picked up. I think this is the meaning of the article cited by you.
regards