The Beneficiary Didn't Provide His Bank Detail For Payment

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
Md.zakir Hossen

The Beneficiary Didn't Provide His Bank Detail For Payment

Post by Md.zakir Hossen » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:44 pm

Some days ago i found import document from an exporter of usa.
The exporter send the docs directly to issuing bank without submitting the docs to the nominated bank(lc is freely nego)
But problem for the issuing bank is that beneficiary did not provide his bank details for effecting payment. As a issuing bank i provide discrepancy notice (docs is dics since bill of exchange is not submitted) to the exporter to his mailing address. But the exporter did not communicate with us rather give pressure to the importer to provide acceptance.
Importer need the goods so he takes the shipping guarantee as there are also some problem to release the goods against original docs.
I asked the importer to tell the exporter to submit the copy docs to his bank and send the docs to issuing bank so that i cant make payment or provide exporter bank details so that i can effect payment.
Am i right or wrong?

shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Re: DOCUMENT SUBMITTED BY THE BENEFICIARY

Post by shahriar » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:38 pm

Dear Zakir Vai,

i also faced a similar situation once though it was with a collection document. the document was mailed directly to us without any clue of how one should pay. there was not forwarding schedule in fact. so all i could do is to communicate the importer. i paid that later on with the details given by the importer; of course after getting the bill of entry. but your case is bit complected as it is under UCP600. i am not familiar with any UCP articles which gives a solution to this. so the importer is the only clue you have.

personally for this reason i hate the last part of 6a. i think its better to add a clause which will require the presentation of original advised copy of the credit in case of a direct presentation.

regd

shahriar

iLC

direct presentation without reimbursement instruction.

Post by iLC » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:26 pm

dear zakir,

i am confused. the document were discrepant and there was no payment instruction. having the original shipping document in hand you issued a shipping guarantee. why? you should have taken waiver form the applicant and release the document.

as far as payment is concern, this is a reimbursement issue outside the LC.

one more thing, is it mandatory that the payment will be made by using a reimbursement instruction? does your credit spoke so. it is also possible to issue a draft and pay the beneficiary.

regd

iLC

Md.zakir Hossen

Post by Md.zakir Hossen » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:56 pm

I ISSUED SHIPPING GRANTEE THOUGH ORIGINAL SHIPPING DOCS IS AT MY HAND.THIS IS BECAUSE MY IMPORTER INFORM ME THAT IT IS NOT POSSIBLE FOR HIM TO RELEASE THE GOODS WITH THE ORIGINAL DOCS(FOR SOME REASON I DID NOT WANT TO DISCLOSE).
HOWEVER I DID NOT KNOW WHAT ARE THE RISK OF ISSUING SHIPPING GUARANTEE ALTHOUGH ISSUING BANK HAVE ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS (DOCUMENTS)? PLS INFORM ME.

cparial

Post by cparial » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:07 am

Is it a case of

""" A credit available with a nominated bank is also available with the issuing bank.?"""

thanks

shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Post by shahriar » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:53 pm

dear zakir bhai,

if the beneficiary claim the document back following the day you issued the shipping gurantee, what will you do? i don't think you will get protection under article 16 C iii b

regd

shahriar