IATA Code

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
loankim
First Name: Loan
Last Name: Nguyen
Organization: VIB
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

IATA Code

Post by loankim » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:50 am

dear all,

i remember i have read somwhere that it is not accepted to show the name of the carrier in IATA code on Airway bill, but..... i cant find out now.:(
is my memory right ??? is it an ICC opinion ?
ur comments appreciated !

rgds,

ucp800
First Name: LEUNG
Last Name: KING SANG
Organization: WACHOVIA BANK N.A.

AWB IATA CODE, CARRIER

Post by ucp800 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:36 pm

Hi

Please refer the ICC opinion TA636rev

Whether IATA two-letter air carrier codes can be used on an AWB to identify the carrier; whether a combined transport document can be used when the document states that the goods may be shipped by sea OR air; whether a transport document can be signed "As Agent for the Carrier of B/L title" if the carrier's name is in the title

Official Opinion TA636rev - Unpublished UCP 600
From UCP600 - ISBP 681 paragraph 141; UCP 600 sub-article 20 (a) (i)

QUERY
On behalf of our national committee, I shall appreciate receiving your Opinions on the following three queries coming from our members. They consist of cases on which full agreement by Commission members of our national committee was not obtained. All cases concern credits subject to UCP 600.

Query 1
Paragraph 141 of the ISBP 681 allows using IATA codes for airports instead of writing out their names in full. Can the same be applied for carriers' IATA codes, i.e., the AWB is signed by the agent of the carrier and the carrier is identified as BA, AF, LH or TK in the field "By First Carrier" or anywhere on the AWB defined as carrier by means of said codes?

Query 2
A credit calls for a transport document stating two options, i.e., transport by sea or by air. The presented transport document is a combined transport document (CTD) showing the entire transport as performed by means of two journeys, the first part by sea and remaining part by air. The names of the port of loading and airport of destination comply with those as stated in the credit's options for journey by sea and by air. The document satisfies UCP's signing requirements. Is this CTD acceptable under this credit instead of the presentation of a B/L covering the entire journey by sea or an AWB covering the entire journey by air?

Query 3
A marine B/L contains on its heading an entity name reading ABC LOGISTICS LTD in bold print. The document is signed by a named agent as "As Agent for the Carrier of B/L title". We are in favour of interpreting the quoted words as "As Agent for the Carrier whose name appears on the heading", hence finding the B/L compliant in line with UCP's signing requirements. Are we correct?

ANALYSIS/CONCLUSION

Query 1
Paragraph 141 of ISBP Publication 681 allows for the IATA airport codes to be used due to the fact that the three-letter codes are widely used and understood by banks globally. However, whilst the two letter codes that you have quoted are probably equally known and understood (due to the fact that they belong to some of the major airlines), it is a fact that goods are transported by air by a large number of carriers, the majority of which would not be known or be capable of identification by a two-letter code. To give an Opinion that would accept such usage would not, in our view, be in the best interests of documentary credit practice, and therefore the name of the carrier should be clearly identified within the document, in full.

Query 2
It would appear that the credit specified that the goods were to be shipped by sea OR by air [emphasis added]. Use of the word "or" does not allow for the goods to be shipped by sea AND air. The beneficiary was required to ship the goods by sea (and present a bill of lading) or by air (and present an air transport document). The presentation of a combined transport document evidencing goods shipped by sea from the stated port of loading (if the sea option was taken) and then onward dispatched by air to the airport named in the credit as the airport of destination (if the air option was taken) would not be acceptable.

Query 3
A bill of lading referring to the name of the carrier, in the manner expressed in the query, would meet the requirements of sub-article 20 (a) (i) in indicating the name of the carrier.

unquote

Regards,
ucp800

loankim
First Name: Loan
Last Name: Nguyen
Organization: VIB

thanks !

Post by loankim » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:57 am

Hi,

Thanks for ur sharing and have a nice weekend ! :)
Hoping we will have more interesting topics to discuss on next week ! ;)

rgds,