Consignor on C/O

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
akomolpa

Consignor on C/O

Post by akomolpa » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:14 am

Dear all,
Could you please have a comment on the following :

I REALLY WONDER IF I CAN APPLY ISBP PARA.184-185 (CONSIGNEE/CONSIGNOR ON CERT.OF ORIGIN)
TO ANY OTHER TYPE OF CERTIFICATE (INSPECTION CERTIFICATE OR CERTIFICATE OF ANALYSIS)
FOR EXAMPLE
L/C STATE
F.46A : + INSPECTION CERTIFICATE, ISSUED BY CIQ,SHOWING
CONSIGNOR : ABC CO.,LTD. (THIS IS NOT BENEFICIARY)
+ FULL SET OF B/L CONSIGNED TO ORDER OF XYZ BANK PCL.

DOCUMENT PRESENTED AS FOLLOW:
+ B/L SHOWING
SHIPPER : DEF CO.,LTD.
CONSIGNEE : TO ORDER OF XYZ BANK PCL.
+ INSPECTION CERTIFICATE,ISSUED BY CIQ,SHOWING
CONSIGNOR : ABC CO.,LTD.
CONSIGNEE : 123 CO.,LTD. (THIS IS THE APPLICANT)

AS PER UCP 600 - ART.14(d) IS THERE ANY DISCREPANCY?
I THINK THERE IS DISCREPANCY BETWEEN CONSIGNOR IN INSPECTION CERT. AND SHIPPER IN B/L
SINCE CONSIGNOR IS THE SAME AS SHIPPER (THEREFORE IT SHOULD BE ABC CO.,LTD.)
BUT THERE IS NO DISCREPANCY FOR CONSIGNEE IN B/L AND INSPECTION CERT. BECAUSE THE PURPOSE
OF CONSIGNEE IN INSPECTION CERT. IS NOT FOR THE TITLE TO THE GOODS.

Rgds,
akomolpa

cristiand969
First Name: Cristian
Last Name: D.
Organization: Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

my view

Post by cristiand969 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:55 pm

There may be difference between the 2 words consignor and shipper although in most cases these names are uses interchangeabled.
Consignor may be the real manufacturer who dispatch the goods from an inland point to the port of loading.
The shipper is the person who actually ships the goods on board a vessel at the port of loading based on a contract of carriage concluded with a carrier.
If you determine within a presentation that a seller may not be always the supplier/manufacturer of goods then you answered yourself to your question.
Why UCP makes reference both to shipper or consignor. It must be a difference

iLC

shipper vs consignor

Post by iLC » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:59 am

i think shipper is a loosely used term. the correct wording should be consignor. shipper closely relates to sea shipment and does not fit great in other modes of transport.

comments please..