Bank requires original letter of credit

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
jabra

Bank requires original letter of credit

Post by jabra » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:00 am

we have received a letter of credit in which partial shipment is allowed but there is also a condition that the presented document must accompany the original credit. we consider this clause conflicting. your opinion please.

picant

clarification needed

Post by picant » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:39 pm

Hi Pal,

I understand that original l/c must be presented to the bank, that is nominated to avail the l/c same.Normally, in case of partial shipment, this original l/c must be presented and the bank will endorse for such amount the back. In the famous Swift book n. 7, it is written that the bank advising an L/C available with any bank, must clause the advice as follows:
-The advice to beneficiary must be presented at each negotiation.

-the negotiating bank must note each negotiation on that advice.

Those notes refer to "negotiabkle l/c" but with UCP 600, an l/c could be available with any bank, for payment, deferred payment and acceptance too.

So try to clarify and insert more details.

Thanks
Ciao

nesarul
First Name: Nesarul
Last Name: Hoque
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

original credit

Post by nesarul » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:43 pm

dear, i agree with picant and for further ref. R 518 might be logical to quote here. Nesar

iLC

no contradiction

Post by iLC » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:27 pm

i do not see it as a contradiction