Bypassing an advising bank

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
jim

Bypassing an advising bank

Post by jim » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:02 pm

Dear sir,

we issued a letter of credit and advised it by SBC UK. later we were asked to confirm the credit and reached negotiation with HSBC Uk. now we need to advise the amendment via HSBC which is also the confirming bank now.my questions are -

do we require to issue an amendment to support this confirmation given that the credit is available with any bank?
if we by pass SCB, what are the potential problems?
if we ask SCB to use HSBC as second advising bank, would it be a violation of UCP 600 9d?

Judith

inform all parties

Post by Judith » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:14 am

1. do we require to issue an amendment to support this confirmation given that the credit is available with any bank?
A: It is not mandatory for you to amend the credit in this manner. It is up to HSBC to decide if they need this amendment (and in my opinion, they should ask for this amendment!)

2. if we by pass SCB, what are the potential problems?
A: There may be potential problems if the LC is available with any bank. If SCB is under the impression that they are receiving all the amendments and they check the documents against what they think is the “latest version” of the LC, there might be some issues.

However, this can be easily overcome if you inform all parties i.e. SCB, HSBC and the beneficiary that future amendments will be routed through HSBC.

3. if we ask SCB to use HSBC as second advising bank, would it be a violation of UCP 600 9d?
A: In my opinion – no. (Especially, if no other second advising bank was used so far.)

bdesh
First Name: Hafizur
Last Name: Rahman
Organization: Southeast Bank Ltd
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Bypassing Advising Bank

Post by bdesh » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:18 pm

[*] Yes you require amendment. The amendment for confirmation by HSBC & available with HSBC
[*] As per art. 9d of UCP600, you cannot bypass SCB. If you do so, you that will be violation of UCP600.
[*] No.