Amendment of place of presentation

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Amendment of place of presentation

Post by shahriar » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:18 pm

dear friends,

We have received an amendment under a commercial letter of credit subject to UCP600 requesting a change in place of presentation; change in address to which document is to be forwarded. while this clause is written in SWIFT field 78 "Instructions to the Paying/Accepting/Negotiating Bank" will it be necessary for the beneficiary to accept it to be effective?

picant

which Swift MT

Post by picant » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:03 pm

Hi Pal,

IMHO, following the advice we used in the past, the instructions for reimbursement or payment were only for the advising, nominated bank.
Amendment of such instructions, that must be cancelled, when sending l/c wording(copy of original) to beneficiary,has to be made by MT 799 instead of MT707.
MT799 involves banks and not beneficiaries.

Naturally, other comments appreciated.

Ciao

iLC

not required

Post by iLC » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:43 pm

shahriar wrote:change in address to which document is to be forwarded.
i assume that we are dealing with a cross border transaction here. changing the place of presentation (the issuing bank's counter probably) is not going to affect the right of the beneficiary anyway since he will be sending the document via courier. therefore i dont see any requirement for the consent of the beneficiary. while this is true, i need to mention that if the beneficiary has presented the document before this "amendment" the issuing bank should be held liable for any consequence. since there is no good answer for this in UCP 600, all the parties related should take extra caution.

ORUNMILA
First Name: HEDGAR
Last Name: AJAKAIYE
Organization: ZENITHBANK PLC
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

beneficiary acceptance needed

Post by ORUNMILA » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:16 am

HI all

i want to imagine a scenario where an lc is advise unconfirmed abintio, where the issuing bank has an account with the correspondent bank, but later on confimatiom was added or simply funds were provided. under this condition while doing this amendment the place of presentation would resonably change. .. and this change being deviation from the original terms and conditions ought to be accepted by the beneficiary which is in accordance with ucp subarticle10(c).

further clarifications are invited :-?