Should a Liner B/L must be issued on carrier's Letter Head

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
murteza
First Name: Syed
Last Name: Murtuza
Organization: BSI
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Should a Liner B/L must be issued on carrier's Letter Head

Post by murteza » Tue May 19, 2009 12:39 am

Hello All,

This question calls all the experts to air their views on whether "A Liner B/L should be issued on a Carrier's Letter Head or can it be issued on a Agent's Letter Head". Please Clarify.
Best regards
S.Murteza :)

cristiand969
First Name: Cristian
Last Name: D.
Organization: Bank

One answer

Post by cristiand969 » Tue May 19, 2009 2:44 pm

Dear Murteza,
I don't know why you are so concerned about this in terms of LC terms as long as the related bill of lading meets the conditions of the article 20.
And from the practical point of view NO, it doesn't need to be issued on the carrier letterhead nor on the agent's one.
Form what I have seen so far Bs/L covering breakbulk carriage on liner vessels are generally issued by the agent of the carrier , by printing an a BLANK paper all the details concerning the transportation (including terms of carriage).
So, such forms of BL don't even have a preprinted letterhead but fully meet the art. 20 of UCP 600.
Regards
C

wongvv

two definitions

Post by wongvv » Tue May 19, 2009 3:28 pm

Hi !

I think the meaning of "Liner B/L" is not so clear or sure. "Liner" may by referring to the B/L's issuer should be running the regular line. On the other hand, it could be referring to the B/L should cover the shipment by regular line vessel. Therefore, the B/L comply with either or both above definition are acceptable.

V.V.

cristiand969

wongvv

Post by cristiand969 » Tue May 19, 2009 9:03 pm

Wongvv, i feel that the original question is if there is a must for a ' Liner B/L' to be produced on either carrier or carrier's agent letterhead. :-o

wongvv

Further to my answer

Post by wongvv » Wed May 20, 2009 7:26 am

Hi !

Further to my previous answer,
B/L comply with either or both above definitions are acceptable
accordingly whether B/L is the carrier's letterhead or agent's letterhead is not the only one way to determine the "Liner B/L" compliant. Therefore, both kinds of letterhead can be used.

Sometimes Answer needs deduction. ;)

V.V.

cristiand969

Yeah, right

Post by cristiand969 » Wed May 20, 2009 1:47 pm

yeah, right V.V in your explanation (of one face of the coin).
Speaking about deduction, so long as my brain is able to perceive :) I did not figure out that
wongvv wrote:B/L comply with either or both above definitions are acceptable
would automatically mean that neither one nor both is also to be accepted.
I still cannot figure out if someone tells me 'I'm going to leave for holiday' he is trying to tell me ' would you come with me?'

Sorry for my poor understanding :((

regards
C.