two consignee

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
besure
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Dong
Organization: CIL
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

two consignee

Post by besure » Mon May 11, 2009 8:12 am

how to write the consignee for the bank?

Now we receive a L/c from India, and they need to write the state bank of india as the consignee, however there should not enough room for printing all the infromation about the name,address and telephone of importer and the bank. How can I do?

The L/C as the followings:

Complete set of Clean Bills of Lading made to Order and endorsed to State bank of India. The Bill of Lading must show that the goods have been shipped and freight to pay/prepaid.

Bill of Lading must also indicate the name and address of the importer as well as of STATE BANK OF INDIA, Trade Finance Central Processing Centre, 3nd Floor, Navjivan Trust Building, Behind Gujarat Vidyapeeth, AHMEDABAD(India).

Regards,

picant

for me notifies

Post by picant » Mon May 11, 2009 8:37 pm

Hi Pal,

the fact that bill of lading must state the bank as consignee is enough. The other parties, IMHO, are notify parties. Please verify and refer.

Ciao

besure
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Dong
Organization: CIL
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

question again

Post by besure » Mon May 11, 2009 9:30 pm

You can see " Complete set of Clean Bills of Lading made to Order and endorsed to State bank of India", so the consignee should be"to order by the shipper" , not the bank, also "to order" is more safe for the shipper. You may know if the importer will refuse to negotiate the B/L, the shipper should have the right to sell these cargoes to other company.

iLC

single consignee

Post by iLC » Wed May 13, 2009 9:18 am

besure wrote:The L/C as the followings:

Complete set of Clean Bills of Lading made to Order and endorsed to State bank of India. The Bill of Lading must show that the goods have been shipped and freight to pay/prepaid.

Bill of Lading must also indicate the name and address of the importer as well as of STATE BANK OF INDIA, Trade Finance Central Processing Centre, 3nd Floor, Navjivan Trust Building, Behind Gujarat Vidyapeeth, AHMEDABAD(India).
from the original question, it appears to me that the credit indeed asked for bill of lading consigned to the order of issuing bank. the requirement to show the name of the issuing bank and the importer to appear on the bill of lading can be fulfilled by putting it down in the body of the bill of lading. there is only one consignee and i see no problem.
besure wrote:You can see " Complete set of Clean Bills of Lading made to Order and endorsed to State bank of India", so the consignee should be"to order by the shipper" , not the bank, also "to order" is more safe for the shipper. You may know if the importer will refuse to negotiate the B/L, the shipper should have the right to sell these cargoes to other company.

i am clear. the issuing bank asked for a bill of lading to the order and endorsed to the order of state bank of india. a to order bill of lading is same as to the order of shipper. once the bill of lading is endorsed by the shipped, it looses control over the goods.

Armagedo

it's not a consignee issue

Post by Armagedo » Wed May 13, 2009 2:22 pm

Hi!

First of all there is no issue with two consignees as topic titled.

Second L/C is clear in regard filling of its form and content, i.e.

Shipper: Company A [actual shipper]
Consignee: To Order

Unfortunately, there is no indication what banks are involved, i.e. whether there is nominated bank in addition or there is just advising bank and issuing bank.
1/ If there is nominated bank then I would make in following way.
Shipper would make endorsement to the order of nominated bank.
After checking of docs by the nominated bank and, if the documents will be found as credit conform, the nominated bank further to make endorsement to State Bank of India.
This will make some kind of additional security to beneficiary.
2/ If there is no nominated bank in sequence then there is no other way to comply except shipper by itself to make an endorsement to State Bank of India.

This is what I wanted to say about endorsement issue.

Regarding name of importer, its address as well as address of State Bank of India.
Again asker didn't state whether it is stated in L/C who is "importer".
"Importer" and "Notify party" are not the same as per their meaning.
Any case I would suggest to make the B/L in following way.

Notify: [Name and address of the applicant under L/C] OR
[Name and adrress of State Bank of India] OR
[left it blank at all]

And somewhere in B/L I would put all necessary info regarding importer and State Bank of India.
Where to state? There is always much blank spaces in B/L for remarks.
If You're going to use Charter Party B/L then attached is sample of face page.
Attachments
BL_shipper.jpg
BL_shipper.jpg (173.88 KiB) Viewed 2364 times