trade finance questions

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
loststudent
First Name: Qiu
Last Name: Rong
Organization: university
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

trade finance questions

Post by loststudent » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:03 pm

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and rather new to the world of trade finance. I am currently preparing for an exam and have some sample questions, which I am rather unsure about how to answer. I really hope you can take some time out to give my answers a look-over and check for my understanding? :-\ :-\ :-\ I would really appreciate it! Thanks in advance! :)

1. Company A has been supplying medical products to a Chinese buyer for 6 years and the method of payment has been L/C. However, the buyer has complained about the increasing commission and time involved with this payment method. However, Company A would not accept open account terms.

(a) What are other methods of payment that Company A may use?
- Cash in advance
- Documentary collections

(b) Compare the methods you suggested above in terms of time needed and protection to Company A.
- Cash in advance offers more protection to Company A as the goods are shipped only after payment is made. For documentary collections, there is lesser protection as the goods are shipped first, but title remains with Company A until payment is made or draft accepted by the Chinese buyer.

- time needed??

(c) If the Chinese buyer insists on trading under open account terms, what other method related to documentary credit can Company A suggest to protect his position?
- Performance stand-by L/C. This will protect Company A against non-performance of the Chinese buyer.

2. Company B is a diamond trader, importing from China and reselling to Europe. Your customer received a large order from a new European buyer. Due to the large amount, Company B insists on some payment undertaking by a bank. Company B’s Chinese supplier also made a similar request.

(a) Name and describe a suitable method of providing security of payment to Company B.
- Letter of credit

(b) How will the method you suggest above provide assistance to secure payment to the Chinese supplier? Name and describe these methods.
- Back-to-back L/C and transferable L/C??

jmitra
First Name: jasmit
Last Name: mitra
Organization: bank

found student

Post by jmitra » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:01 pm

my response to your questions;

1a. cash in advance is the best from the sellers point of view. considering both parties benefit i would vote for documentary collection.
1b. i would not say that documentary collection is a very time consuming process. the only difference with the cash in advance here is that the document goes to the bank first. please dont consider documentary collection as the letter of credit. letter of credit is time consuming because banks have to examine the document.
1c. fully agree with the answer.

2a. i think it could be anything. letter of credit is a popular answer. but i would mind with standby or even with a bank guarantee.
2b. agree with the answer.

you are not a lost student. your understanding is very clear.

loststudent
First Name: Qiu
Last Name: Rong
Organization: university

thanks!!!

Post by loststudent » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:03 am

thank you!!! both for answering my questions and for reassuring me :D