if LC does not mention the consignee

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
jim

Post by jim » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:29 am

dear sir,

if credit is silent on the consignee information, can the beneficiary be the consignee without any further endorsement?

WARLORD77
First Name: Hassan
Last Name: Zayani
Organization: BIBI
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

I dont think so

Post by WARLORD77 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:33 am

Hi jim,

Answer for me these questions coz I need more info.

1) Is their any applicant name in the LC?
2) Is this LC made via swift or not?
3) shows me exactly what is wrote under documents required, the Invoice, B/L or TCN condition.

narisa

lc does not mention consignee

Post by narisa » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:39 am

Hi Jim
I think it unreasonable to made consigned to beneficiary.because beneficiary is not the party who receive the goods but normally the party who sending the goods.

Negotiator
First Name: Ivan
Last Name: Lee
Organization: N Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Post by Negotiator » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:18 pm

Dear Jim,

I cannot imagine how it can happen in a normal situation, but in anyway, I personally think it doesn't matter.

ICC Official Opinion TA702 analyzed :
In circumstances in which a credit is silent with regard to the consignee and/or notify party details, it is correct (subject to the comments below) to say that these may be completed with the details of any consignee or notify party. With regard to a notify party, ISBP publication 681 paragraph 144 states: "If a credit does not state a notify party, the respective field on the air transport document may be left blank or completed in any manner."
(Caution is required because the AWB in question in this Opinion was proved to be discrepant for another reasons.)

With regard to an endorsement, of course, I think it should be made on the transport document as required in ISBP 681 Paragraph 76 and 77 (or similar paragraphs for another T/Ds). For example, If the T/D shows consignee as "To order (of shipper)" and shipper is also the beneficiary, the T/D may be required to be endorsed by the beneficiary. I'm not sure whether endorsement wil still be required if the T/D is consigned to shipper but not "To order (of shipper)"

I wonder again why the T/D must be consigned to (or order of) the beneficiary, but just as to make the T/D not to be discrepant, I cannot help explaining as above. More information would be required so that we can comment more exactly about the case you mentioned.

Thanks and regards.
Lee.