meaning of /

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
jim

meaning of /

Post by jim » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:27 am

dear sir,

if LC calls for packing list / weight note, then which document is to present?

both of them or one of them will comply?

Negotiator
First Name: Ivan
Last Name: Lee
Organization: N Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

meaning of /

Post by Negotiator » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:27 pm

Dear Jim,

In the context of your question, I guess the issuing bank requires any single document which states both packing details and weights of goods. (Irrespective of its title)

More comments welcome

RGDS.
Lee

Jackie

meaning of

Post by Jackie » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:14 pm

Dear all

if l/c requests packing list/weight note then either single documents or combined document as long as it fulfils the requirement of said document would be acceptable.
Thanks Jackie

akomolpa

meaning of /

Post by akomolpa » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:47 am

Dear all,
if l/c requests packing list/weight note , the " / " may have different meanings and , unless apprent in a context used, should not be used as a substitute for a word (ISBP 681 paragraph 6). Then the Issuing BAnk should clarify the meaning of " / ".
If the meaning is " or " , either single documents or combined document as long as it fulfils the requirement of said document would be acceptable.
If the meaning is " and " , such requirement will be satisfied by presentation of two separate documents, or by presentation of two original copies of a combined packing list and weight note, provided such document states both packing and weight details (ISBP 681 paragraph 42).

I think it is safe for Beneficiary to determine the meaning as " and ".

Rgds,
akomolpa

Jackie

Meaning of /

Post by Jackie » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:48 pm

Dear Akompola

Further to your reply, in my opinion if a bank wanted two separate documents then these should be listed as such ie separate Weight Note and Packing List.

Forgetting ISBP and UCP for a moment, "/" in the english language is understood to mean "either or".

Thanks Jackie

nesarul
First Name: Nesarul
Last Name: Hoque
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank

meaning of /

Post by nesarul » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:40 am

dear,
case study of ucp 400 has response similier type of case where description of the goods on credit was shirt polyster/cotton ....document presented 50% shirt for polyster and the remaining 50% for cotton followed by a dispute with the issuing bank throuth raising a discrepancy . The argument of ib was lc actually asked for mixture of cotton and polyster in a shirt...
From my point of view, the bwneficiary or nb should asked either for clarification before determination or presentation of both of the documents is the safest option.....merely lateral meaning of / may jeopardise nb position.
Regards
Nesar

vivian
First Name: vivian
Last Name: zhao
Organization: banking

meaning of '/'

Post by vivian » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:41 am

Hi, dear

In my opinion, "/" means or, if you wanna aviod discrep, you may make a docs with title
" packing list/weight note " just follow the L/C . and its content include 'packing condition , quantity and weght.

regards
vivian