Discrepant documents

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
HARIFAK
First Name: ABDULKHALIK
Last Name: HARIF
Organization: NEDBANK
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Discrepant documents

Post by HARIFAK » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:33 pm

when should discrepant documents that are subject to the issuing bank's refusal notice be release to the applicant if the applicant has indicated a willingness to take them up

Negotiator
First Name: Ivan
Last Name: Lee
Organization: N Bank

Disposal of discrepant documents

Post by Negotiator » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:41 pm

Hi, HARIFAK

In my view, we must consider which method the issuing bank has choosen with regard to disposal of documents among four methods described in Sub-Article 16.c.iii. of UCP 600 in its notice of refusal.

If the issuing bank("IB") has notified disposal of documents according to :
1) Sub-Article 16.c.iii.a), then IB will be required to ask beneficiary whether IB may release documents to the applicant, because the documents can be handled only according to the beneficiary's instruction in this case.
2) Sub-Article 16.c.iii.b), then the documents may be released to the applicant at IB's discretion, provided that IB has not received any instructions from the beneficiary until IB determines to release documents.
3) Sub-Article 16.c.iii.c), then I guess the situation you assumed in your question will not happen. If IB is still holding the docs despite its notice of refusal, I think that IB must act like 1) above because the docs are the beneficiary's properties anyway.
4) Sub-Article 16.c.iii.d), then IB will be required to act in accordance with beneficiary's previous instructions as stated in this Sub-Article, regardless of the applicant's waiver of the discrepancies.

Is my opinion reasonable? I will be glad if anybody comments more about this question.
RGDS.

shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank

disposal instruction

Post by shahriar » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:48 pm

its a very critical and very important question. it totally depends on the disposal instruction either set in the presentation letter or in the refusal advice. the wording of the refusal advice is very important here.

ybattia
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Attia
Organization: ABCDEF

The issuing bank's right to return back dox!

Post by ybattia » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:15 am

I totally agree with the above, and I would like to note the following; "UCP600 - 16.e"
the issuing bank do still have the right to return back dox even after receiving applicant's instructions or the beneficiary's according to its refusal notice previously issued.

e. A nominated bank acting on its nomination, a confirming bank, if any, or the issuing bank may, after providing notice required by sub-article 16 (c) (iii) (a) or (b), return the documents to the presenter at any time.

For example; if the applicant communicated its acceptance subject to a reduction in payment, and the beneficiary refused to do so.. and situations similar to this kind!

Thanks,