What Is The Basis For Checking Freight Forwarder's B/L

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
malla
First Name: malla
Last Name: reddy
Organization: IFTS
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

What Is The Basis For Checking Freight Forwarder's B/L

Post by malla » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:13 am

HI

if an L/C requires PORT to PORT B/L and in additional conditions Freight forwarder B/L also acceptable.
in this case if freight forwarder in his capacity presents the b/l,on what basis we check this document?
does UCP600,article 20 Applies to this FFW B/L?

malla

shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank

article 20

Post by shahriar » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:29 am

the BL would be checked under article 20. the term freight forwarder bill of lading acceptable only allows the freight forwarder to sign on the capacity of the freight forwarder. other terms of UCP 600 remains same

malla

IS IT STILL TRANSPORT DOCUMENT..?

Post by malla » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:21 pm

HI Shahriar,

heartful thanks for the reply.

i am still wondering how would we treat it as a B/L.Because, ISBP,para(19) says "some documents commonly used in relation to the transportation of goods, e.g., Delivery Order, Forwarder's Certificate of receipt, Forwarder's certificate of shipment, forwarder's certificate of transport, forwarder's cargo receipt and mate's receipt do not reflect a contract of carriage and are not transport documents as defined in UCP600 articles 19-25. As such, UCP 600 sub-article 14(c) would not apply to these documents.therefore these documents for which there are no specific provisions in UCP 600, i.e.,under sub-article 14(f).
In any event, documents must be presented not later than the expiry date for presentation as in the credit"

could u clarify me this?

regards
malla

Jackie

FBLs

Post by Jackie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:17 pm

Hello
In response to your query those documents listed in ISBP Article 19 are not documents of title or contracts of carriage, but they do represent a receipt for the goods. FCRs are usually issued before the actual B/Lading and are not subject to articles 20-22.

A FBL is a B/Lading which is issued by a freight forwarder, either in the capacity of a freight forwarder or a carrier or agent on behalf of the carrier. If a L/C states B/L issued by freight forwarder not acceptable, obviously the first option is not permitted.
I hope this makes sense. Jackie

berry

forwarder cargo receipt

Post by berry » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:37 am

forwarder cargo receipt and freight forwarder bill of lading is the same. in forwarder cargo receipt the goods are at the disposal of the freight forwarder waiting further instruction from the buyer. in bill of lading (including freight forwarder) the goods are already on a ship and consigned to the buyer. for this reason forwarder cargo receipt is not a transport document

malla

FCR and FBL

Post by malla » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:06 am

berry wrote:forwarder cargo receipt and freight forwarder bill of lading is the same. in forwarder cargo receipt the goods are at the disposal of the freight forwarder waiting further instruction from the buyer. in bill of lading (including freight forwarder) the goods are already on a ship and consigned to the buyer. for this reason forwarder cargo receipt is not a transport document
HI Berry,
thanks for ur quick response.

i seek further clarification about FCR and FBL.you said FCR and FBL are same.then FBL should be treated under ISBP(19) or as a transport document?

regards
malla

Jackie

FBL and FCR

Post by Jackie » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:29 pm

Hello

I am very surprised at some of the explanations given here. I know that we are all aiming to answer questions but please if people give advice do not just ignore it and post responses if you do not actually know the answer and give misleading information. I have passed my CDCS and have been working in this field for over 15 years so do know what I am talking about.

A FBL and a FCR are two separate documents NOT the same. Perhaps you have never encountered a FCR. It is a document issued before a B/L and as stted previously is not a document of title.

Thank you

berry

apology

Post by berry » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:44 am

i apologies for the posting. it was indeed wrong BUT does not mean i have no idea of it. it was just a typo. a fatal typo :(
forwarder cargo receipt and freight forwarder bill of lading is not the same. in forwarder cargo receipt the goods are at the disposal of the freight forwarder waiting further instruction from the buyer. in bill of lading (including freight forwarder) the goods are already on a ship and consigned to the buyer. for this reason forwarder cargo receipt is not a transport document

a careful reading of the post would indeed reveal that i was pointing to their difference.