CDCS Questions

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
malla
First Name: malla
Last Name: reddy
Organization: IFTS
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

CDCS Questions

Post by malla » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:32 pm

hi,
could anyone help me to find right answers to these questions?

Q1:
Bank I receives documents under an L/C it has issued on 6th march.Bank finds the documents
to be discrepant.which of the fallowing notice of refusal sent by Bank I is valid?
[7th march is friday,Bank Idoes not work on saturdays and sundays,there are no bank holidays]

a) Amessage sent on 13th march by tele-transmission stating "we received your documents presented
under our L/C.however we refuse to pay as the documents are discrepant.meanwhile we are
holding documents at your disposal.
b) message sent on 12th march by tele-transmission stating "we refuse your presentation a the
documents the fallowing discrepancies-late shipment,partial shipment.we are return the documents
by courier.
c) Amessage sent on 16th march through tele-transmission stating "we refuse payment as the
documents contain the discrepancy late shipment.we are holding documents pending further
instructions.

Q2:
An L/C in which partial shipment is prohibited is issued for USD 100,000 with a tolerance +10%applicable.subsequently an amendment is issued reducing the L/C value to USD 90,000.The beneficiary did not expresssly communicate his acceptance/rejection to the amendment,however ,presented documents for USD 98,000.Then,
a) the beneficiary has accepted the amendment and documents presented are clean.
b) the presentation is clean though beneficiary's acceptance/rejection is not determinable

I HOPE TO GET THE RIGHT ANSWER WITH AN APPROPRIATE REASON.

Regads
malla

TLO
First Name: TONY
Last Name: LO
Organization: Societe Generale

CDCS Questions

Post by TLO » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:29 am

Hi Malla,

Question No.1- How many working days in a week in your country? If your country is worked from Monday to Friday, then Ans 1 & 2 are acceptable. Please refer to UCP 600 that L/C issuing bank has 5 working days to decide whether they intend to refuse the documents.

Question No. 2 - If beneficiary unwilling to confirm acceptance of amendment decreasing amount. You can tell from the invoice amount whether they accept the amendment or not. Say if the invoice amount of this transaction is USD89,000.00 then I believe the beneficiary is absolutely accepted the amendment. If the invoice amount is USD108,000.00 that the amendment is definitely refused by beneficiary. For safety sake, it is recommended to ask for a written statement from beneficiary that the amendment is rejected.

Cheers :)

Armagedo

Q1

Post by Armagedo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:00 pm

malla

Q1: only (b) is acceptable since only it meets conditions of UCP600 articles 14 (b) + 16 (c) (i) + 16(c)(ii) + 16(c)(iii)(c)

iLC

agree with armagedo

Post by iLC » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:01 pm

i agree with armagedo on answer of question 1.

on question 2 i will go for answer B.

98000 is within the tolerance limit of both the original LC and the the amendment. since partial shipment is not allowed, we will never know whether the beneficiary has accepted or rejected the amendment. in fact such cases, i do not bother to know that.

malla

how would it be within the tolerance?

Post by malla » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:59 pm

iLC wrote:i agree with armagedo on answer of question 1.

on question 2 i will go for answer B.

98000 is within the tolerance limit of both the original LC and the the amendment. since partial shipment is not allowed, we will never know whether the beneficiary has accepted or rejected the amendment. in fact such cases, i do not bother to know that.
hi
thank you for the replay.but,
if the amendment is not accepted,it would be between USD100,000 to USD110,000.
if the amendment is accepted,it would be between USD90,000 to USD99,000.
beneficiary presented the documents for USD98,000.
then,how would it be within the tolerance?

expecting further clarification

regards
malla

malla

IS IT PRESENTATION DATE OR L/C ISSUE DATE?

Post by malla » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:26 pm

Armagedo wrote:malla

Q1: only (b) is acceptable since only it meets conditions of UCP600 articles 14 (b) + 16 (c) (i) + 16(c)(ii) + 16(c)(iii)(c)
HI armagedo,
Thank you for the clear information.but still i have few doubts in my mind.

first thing,in Q1,what exactly the presentatin date? The question is like this"Bank I receives documents under an L/C it has issued on 6th march....."..is 6th march presentation date?
in my opinion,i feel 6th march is L/C issued date so there is no presentation date given.now,
we have to cheack the valid refusal notice as per 16(c) without concerning the five banking days.

second thing,if we treate 6th march is the presentation date,
16(c) says "that the bank is refusing to honour or negotiate".but,in Q1 option (b) says "we refuse your PRESENTATION.....".
what does "refusing presentation" mean?
does it mean refusing honour or refusing negotiation?

appreciate further clarification.
expecting answer for Q2 also

regards
malla