Straight consigned BL vs. Non Negotiable Seaway Bill

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
gt_sen
First Name: Senthilkumar
Last Name: G.T.
Organization: iGate GSL, Bangalore
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Straight consigned BL vs. Non Negotiable Seaway Bill

Post by gt_sen » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:22 pm

Hi,

Can anyone explain what is the difference between Straight consigned ocean B/L and Non negotiable Seaway Bill?

ibnejafar
First Name: Khurram
Last Name: Bin Jafar
Organization: Meezan Bank Ltd

Negotiability Vs Non-Negotiability

Post by ibnejafar » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:39 am

Dear,in st.B/L the consignee,in some cases,can endorse its B/L to other but in N/N Seaway B/L it can't.the former,very rare, is used in L/C and the later frequently be used in Open A/c System.

gt_sen
First Name: Senthilkumar
Last Name: G.T.
Organization: iGate GSL, Bangalore

Can the Straight consigned B/L endorsed further?

Post by gt_sen » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:28 pm

Thank you for your comments...

Please tell, can the straight consigned B/L can be endorsed further? My understanding is, if B/L is straight consigned once, then it is not a document of title. So it can not be endorsed further.

picant

straight consigned/not negotiable etc

Post by picant » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:43 pm

Hi Pals,

IMHO, straight consigned means nominative, so, by law in Italy, it could be endorsed further, but endorsement must be certify by public notary. Not Negotiable seaway bill cannot be further endorsed because it does not represent the relevant goods, that are delivered to consignee without presentation of one original. Morevor, straight consigned bill of lafing can be endorsed "for discharging" or other "for storage" without notarial certification, following legal instructions. I know Italian Laws nut I think that something similar will be possible in other Countries:

Other comments appreciated
Ciao