TO ORDER(Banking Group) for account of(Bank in the Group)

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
Ella
First Name: Mihaela
Last Name: N
Organization: Wood Planet
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Post by Ella » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:11 pm

Hi, everybody,

Thanks again to all posting here, sharing encountered problems on LCs and even more, thanks to those sharing their valuable experience in the field and helping with comments and advices. I have learned a lot of things watching this forum, and many information has been of great help to me.

I'm asking a piece of advice again, if you have had such a situation, in one LC I have the BL to be issued "TO THE ORDER OF ( here is the name of the banking group) FOR THE ACCOUNT OF ( and here's the name of the issuing bank, member of this banking group)". The shipping company is telling me that they cannot write like this. Is this a wrong wording ( and then, why on earth the applicant bank put it like that, I wonder). If it's forbidden to have this ( which I am not aware of), can I put "TO THE ORDER OF "BANKING GROUP NAME" - "ISSUING BANK NAME (MEMBER OF THIS GROUP)". Will this be considered discrepancy?
It's an urgent matter, thanks in advance for any piece of advice or comment.

Best regards,
Ella

iLC

agent?

Post by iLC » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:22 am

to me for account of has similar effect to "on behalf of". that() means if you issue a bill of lading like that, it would mean that it is consigned to (Bank Group) who is the agent of the (issuing bank). :(

i found this total weird. the only reason i could imagine is that the entire bank group has a single operation center and wants to make the endorsement process easy.

of course you have to follow the credit terms; no matter how impossible it is. otherwise you run the risk of facing valid discrepancies.

Ella
First Name: Mihaela
Last Name: N
Organization: Wood Planet
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Post by Ella » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:56 pm

Hi,

Thank you, iLC, yes, it is exactly this situation : it is a big banking group resulted from the merger of two other big banking groups... and what I guess is that they have now a central department for all the foreign trade transactions,transactions which are actually handled independently by the various banking entities in the group.
If they put like this in LC, I should have that wording, I guess, and I'll be trying to convince the shipping company to follow the initial instructions. :(

Thanks and good luck to all.

Kind regards,
Ella