LC amendments

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
yangkenn
First Name: yang
Last Name: kenn
Organization: btmu
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

LC amendments

Post by yangkenn » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:13 pm

hello all:

if a LC contains several amendments, can the bene only reject any one of the amendments and accept the others?

bdesh
First Name: Hafizur
Last Name: Rahman
Organization: Southeast Bank Ltd

LC amendments

Post by bdesh » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:27 pm

Hi,
Did u mean amendment advice of different dates in a credit or different amendments in a same advice ?
1. In case of first one, if there is no impact of rejected amendment on accepted amendment(s) it's allowed otherwise not allowed.
2. In case of later one, the bene cannot only reject any one of the amendments and accept the others as per Article 10 e of UCP-600 which states as follows: -
Partial acceptance of an amendment is not allowed and will be deemed to be notification of rejection of the amendment.

jmitra
First Name: jasmit
Last Name: mitra
Organization: bank

need to see

Post by jmitra » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:42 pm

without having a look at the amendment its difficult to say. some of the amendment may be interdependent. but i agree with the answer given. general rule is if amendment advised separately may be rejected and accepted separately. some amendment may even not require of the consent of the beneficiary; i.e change in reimbursing bank's name etc

danohng
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Ng
Organization: Citigroup

LC amendment

Post by danohng » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:43 am

Refer to bdesh's post on point no.1.

Even the different amendments were interdependent, there is no rules allow the bank to reject the acceptance / rejection of the amendment from the beneficiary even it will affect the other amendment. It is the bank responsible to ensure the workability of such amendments before they are issue. The bank are liable to the amendment once they were issued.

vivian
First Name: vivian
Last Name: zhao
Organization: banking

L/C amendment

Post by vivian » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:14 am

the anwser is not easy to say, because that, if all the amendments is independant, the bene may accept one of them and reject the others , if the amendments , like amendment no.2 and no.3 is consistent , the bene cant reject one and accept the other

tks
vivian

yangkenn
First Name: yang
Last Name: kenn
Organization: btmu

L/C AMENDMENT

Post by yangkenn » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:10 am

Dear all,
Thank you for sharing your opinions with me.
I should clarify my question as bdesh's post on point no.1.
Does anyone come across this question in practice?