Freight Forwarder B/l and Transport Document

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
murttuza
First Name: Murtuza
Last Name: Razvi
Organization: BS
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Freight Forwarder B/l and Transport Document

Post by murttuza » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:05 am

Dear Experts,

Would you please explain me how the following terms can be more clearly interpreted.
a). Transport documents issued by freight forwarder are not acceptable.
b). Freight forwarder B/L not acceptable.

In both the above cases, Can a Freight forwarder is allowed to Sign as a ''Carrier''.

danohng
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Ng
Organization: Citigroup
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Freight Forwarder BL

Post by danohng » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:47 pm

One of the principal of the Bill of Lading is that they carry the title of the goods and must be signed by the carrier, the master or the name agent acting on behalf of the carrier or master. As per UCP600, article 14(I), Any party may issue the transport document as long as the document meet the requirements of article 19,20, 21,22,23 and 24 of UCP600. i.e. the Freight Forwarder issue the BL must act as an agent of the carrier or master.

berry

TA669

Post by berry » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:17 pm

please refer to ICC opinion TA 669
One of the reasons behind conditions such as "freight forwarder bills of lading are not acceptable" or "house bills of lading not acceptable" is to require the issuance of a bill of lading by the carrier, albeit that the freight forwarder or agent could sign the bill of lading according to the requirements expressed in sub-article 20 (a) (i). If a freight forwarder or agent signs as carrier, the bill of lading becomes a carrier document.