Consignee different from Applicant

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
zerogravity
First Name: Vinod
Last Name: Abraham
Organization: ELMEC
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Consignee different from Applicant

Post by zerogravity » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:50 pm

In a standard L/C form there is no column to mention separately the consignee name if it is different from the applicant. And also the L/C form has a mandatory clause where the Bill of lading has to be made in the name of the issuing Bank.

My question is if I want to open an L/C at sight for goods that has to be shipped to my customer directly in another country from mine where do I mention the consignee name - in special instruction? Also can I waiver the clause of issuing the BL in my bank's name? Since the consignee is in another country?

Thank you

venkat
First Name: venkat
Last Name: rami reddy
Organization: ifts

Under field No 46a

Post by venkat » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:14 pm

Hi,

In my opinion there is no need for the specific field to indicate the consignee name in LC .

since,under field no 46a we can mention the consignee name like this" full set of B/L consigned to ........"

further clarification is appreciated ..

regards ,
venkat

zerogravity
First Name: Vinod
Last Name: Abraham
Organization: ELMEC

thanks Venkat

Post by zerogravity » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:06 pm

venkat wrote:Hi,

In my opinion there is no need for the specific field to indicate the consignee name in LC .

since,under field no 46a we can mention the consignee name like this" full set of B/L consigned to ........"

further clarification is appreciated ..

regards ,
venkat
Thanks Venkat....

Usually here in Kuwait the BL has to be issued in the bank's name. Under 46A, the signed invoice is asked in the name of the consignee on behalf of the Bank. I wanted the material to be delivered outside Kuwait and hence the bank name only caused confusion and was not required. So I was wondering whether there was any way to waiver that clause to avoid the bank's name. And also since the LC form did not carry a specific column to fill-out the consignee name , I was in doubt how to give that instruction -under special instruction etc.

shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank

related to the issuing bank

Post by shahriar » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:10 pm

i understand that this is a issue related to that specific bank and not to standard letter of credit practice. i guess this issue may also be related to kuwaits central bank policy.

anyway, it not uncommon that the standard LC application from can not support all the requirements. in such case we suggest our customer to use a separate sheet to mention its terms and conditions which we later incorporate in the LC