goods description on B/L

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
edilee
First Name: edilee
Last Name: cdcs
Organization: cdcs
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

goods description on B/L

Post by edilee » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:02 pm

the description of goods is acceptable on B/L unless conflict with the invoice
but what about extra different goods indication on it that is not required on L/C

malla
First Name: malla
Last Name: reddy
Organization: IFTS

DISREGARD IN B/L BUT,..

Post by malla » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:57 pm

hi
UCP600,article14(e) says "in documents other than commercial invoice,the description of goods,services or performance,if stated, may be shown in general terms not conflicting with their description in the credit"

the extra different goods shown in B/L may be disregard if that is not conflicting with that shown in credit.
but,
ISBP(59) says "the descreption of goods,services or performance in an invoice must reflect what has actually been shipped....."

if invoice does not indicate the extra shipped different goods which has shown in B/L,it would be a discrepancy in invoice.
the disrepancy would be like this "the invoice does not indicate actually shipped goods"
any way it is discrepancy though invoice shows the extra shippeed diffrent goods which was not called by L/C.

appreciate further clarification

regards
malla

TLO
First Name: TONY
Last Name: LO
Organization: Societe Generale

goods description on B/L

Post by TLO » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:57 pm

Hi edilee & malla,

Please let me share my banking experience with you.
We once issued an L/C with description of goods 'Glass'. When the document comes in the invoice stated 'Glass' and the B/L
stated 'Glass B'. So, we think it is alright as other documents can show a general term and regarded documents are in order and pay the bill. When LC applicant taken delivery of the goods, they found the products are all in B grade and the client is suffered a loss.
In this case, I would suggest my colleague if they have doubt of the description of goods on B/L, point it out as a discrepancy and let the client to accept.

Cheers

malla
First Name: malla
Last Name: reddy
Organization: IFTS

I AGREE WITH U BUT,.....

Post by malla » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:20 pm

TLO wrote:Hi edilee & malla,

Please let me share my banking experience with you.
We once issued an L/C with description of goods 'Glass'. When the document comes in the invoice stated 'Glass' and the B/L
stated 'Glass B'. So, we think it is alright as other documents can show a general term and regarded documents are in order and pay the bill. When LC applicant taken delivery of the goods, they found the products are all in B grade and the client is suffered a loss.
In this case, I would suggest my colleague if they have doubt of the description of goods on B/L, point it out as a discrepancy and let the client to accept.

Cheers
Hi
i appreciate your answer with experiance and i agree with you.but,here the case is about "EXTRA DIFFERENT GOODS INDICATION ON B/L THAT IS NOT REQUIRED IN L/C".
so the case would be, if L/C asks for GLASS and invoice shows GLASS but,B/L shows GLASS+WOOD.
how would you take it? and even we may disregard the WOOD shown in B/L as long as the GLASS is there..but,what about the goods descreption in invoice? and
how it full fill ISBP(59) { says "the descreption of goods,services or performance in an invoice must reflect what has actually been shipped....."}.

appreciate further clarification

regards
malla