can applicant refuse to reimburse

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
nesarul
First Name: Nesarul
Last Name: Hoque
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

can applicant refuse to reimburse

Post by nesarul » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:08 pm

Dear,
Credit conditions: bill of lading made out to the order of issuing bank. available with issuing bank by payment
document presented direct to the issuing bank within stipulated time period.
Bill of lading made out to the order of Applicant of the credit and presented full set of Bill of lading.
Query:
If issuing bank waive this discrepancy, can the applicant refuse to reimburse the IB.
regards
nesar

Hussam
First Name: Hussam
Last Name: Hammoudeh
Organization: SGB

applicant can not refuse

Post by Hussam » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:50 pm

Dear nesarul
the mechanism of handling discrepant doc is that applicant will accept discrepant doc aginst payment of its value, he can not take up doc and refuse to pay

Regards

iLC

depends

Post by iLC » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:47 pm

dear hussam,

nesarul actually emphasized on issuing bank's waiver. so its possible that applicant may refuse to pay.
nesarul wrote:If issuing bank waive this discrepancy, can the applicant refuse to reimburse the IB.
but... i have my own understanding here. the applicant does not draft the credit. it is the issuing bank which draft it as per requirement of the applicant. the issuing bank also design some clauses to protect its interest. in this case bill of lading is discrepant. if im not wrong, most of the LC application has the option for "types of transport document" and the applicant only select "bill of lading". so the stated discrepancy has nothing to do with the applicant. in either case, it meets the requirement of the applicant. i see no reason not to be reimbursed. but i must say, it depends.

ajoy
First Name: Ajoy
Last Name: Ghildiyal
Organization: ABN AMRO

Very nice observation ILC

Post by ajoy » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:35 am

It definetly depends on the wording of the 'LC application form' (or even the master agreement for the facility) that the applicant of LC signed /submitted.

Cheers