indication of number of originals issued in Non Negotiable S

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
Balajikas
First Name: Balaji
Last Name: kas
Organization: IFTS
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

indication of number of originals issued in Non Negotiable S

Post by Balajikas » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:58 pm

Hi

Can anyone clarify UCP Article 21 require indication of number of originals issued in Non Negotiable Seaway Bill ?

If a transport document is capable of transferring by endorsement (Negotiable) , indication of number of originals is a mandatory because merchant may secure release of goods by presenting at least one original.

Non Negotiable Seaway bill to be used when shipment is by sea under a short journey and requires to be issued in a Non nego form (consignee must be identified i.e straight consignment).

Appreciate if someone clarifies on this please

Balajikas@rediffmail.com

picant

Not negotiable sea waybill

Post by picant » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:06 pm

Hi Pal,

Art 21 a iv, is clear: if the sea waybill is issued in more than one original, full set must be presented. You correctly say "but if it is straight consigned"? The problem, IMHO, is that, with an original document, the shipper can modify delivery terms, instructing properlythe carrier untill goods are in the hands of the consignee. In the previous UCP 500, it was advised to clause Sea waybill "NO DISP"(or CONTROL) to prohibit amendment to original transports conditions.

Hoping to have been clear.
Ciao

Balajikas

indication of number of originals issued in non negotiable s

Post by Balajikas » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:03 am

Hi Ciao

Many thanks. But still I am not clear about this requirement. Can you please explain what is the need of article 21 when article 20 is exactly the same & title is not important for any transport document under ucp rules (however named).

Rgds
Balaji.kas

shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank

just some national comittee asked so

Post by shahriar » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:21 pm

dear balaji,

the answer is rather very simple. here is a quote from commentary on UCP 600
During the revision process, the Drafting Group compared the content of UCP 500 articles 23 and 24. The comparison highlighted what we all knew, namely that there was no difference in the wording except that whenever the words “bill of lading” appeared in article 23, the words “non-negotiable sea waybill” appeared in article 24. At one point, the Drafting Group combined the two articles into one. However, responses from ICC national committees asserted that it was unwise to combine in one article of the rules a document which is, in most cases, a negotiable document (the bill of lading) and, on the other hand, a document which bears in its title words to the effect that it is non-negotiable (the non-negotiable sea waybill). The decision was then taken to remain with what existed under UCP 500 and to have a separate article for the non-negotiable sea waybill.
so...
picant wrote:In the previous UCP 500, it was advised to clause Sea waybill "NO DISP"(or CONTROL) to prohibit amendment to original transports conditions.
dear picant, would be grateful if you could please provide me the reference. i dont have any in my collection.

picant

No Disp Clause

Post by picant » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:40 pm

Hi Pals,

in effect this sentence is on a ABI Italian Bankers Association Commentary, but it is also illustrated in "The merchants guide-2003 issue" by P&O Nedlloyd.
Probably reflects the fact that the new article in UCP 500 had been inserted on Transport Industry Commission.
I will try to investigate to find the original source.
Thanks

Ciao

Balajikas

indication of number of originals issued in non negotiable s

Post by Balajikas » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:33 pm

Hi Shahriar

Many thanks..

Non-negotiable seaway bill by its nature is "NON NEGOTIABLE". As scuh right to receive the goods can not be transferred by endorsement and delivery.

UCP require insertion of number of originals issued on a transport document ONLY when document is capable of transferring by endorsement. For example: BL, Charter party BL and Multimodal transport doc. Incase of Air way bill, Road Transport doc insertion of number of originals issued is not required.

My question is when "non negotiable seaway bill" is not capable of transerring by endorsement & original document is not required to delivery of the goods at port of discharge, the words under 21-iv "BE THE FULL SET AS INDICATED ON THE NON-NEGOTIABLE SEAWAY BILL" may be meaning less. Instead, insertion of similar words under Art 23 V (be the original for consignor or shipper, even if the credit stipulates a full set of originals" may be appropriate.

Rgds
Balaji.kas

21vita
First Name: hui
Last Name: Fang
Organization: bank

COMMENTARY ON UCP600

Post by 21vita » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:51 am

Commentary on UCP600 seems a good book, where can i buy it.....any one can tell me