Discountable LC

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
Navi
First Name: Olcay
Last Name: Özcan
Organization: Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Discountable LC

Post by Navi » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:04 am

Dear friends,
Consider an LC, available with nominated bank by deferred payment.
Field 47a states "this LC is discountable" and no other details stated. If nominated bank refuses to discount the LC, is the issuing bank obliged to discount the LC?

Regards

21vita
First Name: hui
Last Name: Fang
Organization: bank

dear navi

Post by 21vita » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:03 am

it's really an interesting case
i think it's not only an issuing bank's authorization to nominated bank ,it's mainly a issuing bank's notification of intention to provide such a financing to bene and nominated bank.
in my opinion,the way issuing bank express is the key,the words"this LC is discountable"clearly shows the characteristic of the lc ,in addition to that of defer payment,and nominated bank's discounting is surely under gurantee of lc,in addition to that of UCP. if IB's intention is just to express it's willing and discounting afterwards shall depends, then the words that may lead to confusion shall not be used, the words in 47a as " we are willing to ...if discounting request is approved by us"is preferable. otherwise IB is under risk of being forced to discount.

shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank

does not make much diffrence

Post by shahriar » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:12 pm

dear navi,

good question. to me the clause does not make much difference. in fact sometimes issuing bank (i did it in fact) include such clause just at the request of the applicant as beneficiary without much knowledge of UCP600 believes that it give them added comfort. to me it simply like restating the precise meaning of article 7c and 12b.
Navi wrote:If nominated bank refuses to discount the LC, is the issuing bank obliged to discount the LC?

i would not say so. discountable and we will discount is not the same thing. the issuing bank is simply speaking of a possibility.