presentation of the corrected certificate

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

presentation of the corrected certificate

Post by shahriar » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:27 pm

i need to your help to understand this. ICC opinion R492
3. The certificate originally presented by the beneficiary replicated the text that was given in the credit without providing a definitive certification as to the printing on the skids, packages, cartons or containers. The requirement in such cases is for the issuer to provide a statement that meets the requirements expressed in the credit and not necessarily a straight transposition of that information into such a document. This would be a valid discrepancy. The presentation of the corrected certificate should occur within the stipulated presentation period or expiry date.
example
shipment date 30th september
presentation made on 19th october
discrepancy raised on 21st october about a beneficiary's certificate

can i say that any representation of new certificate is not acceptable!!

cristiand969
First Name: Cristian
Last Name: D.
Organization: Bank

One question

Post by cristiand969 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:27 pm

When does this credit expire?

shahriar

15th november

Post by shahriar » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:30 pm

dear cris,

please assume the expiry date as 15th november

cristiand969
First Name: Cristian
Last Name: D.
Organization: Bank

Dear Shahriar

Post by cristiand969 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:25 pm

If i were the bank receiving this set of docs and in the context of the query I would accept a new corrected certificate being in the limit of timeframe presentation for the following reasons:
1. A replacement of a document does not constitute a new presentation nor a representation of full set, but a representation of a single document.
2. The time of presentation is normal required and mainly refers to a set including a transport document which I assume that transport document was correct on the original presentation.
3. All documents have been presented in due time whether or not contained discrepancies, so the beneficiary corrected such discrepancies notified by issuing bank.
4. As lon as the document is presented until expiry date (when issuing bank has a valid undertaking to pay against complying docs) i would not raise discrepancy late presentation, or how should I call: Late representation?
This is my personal view only.

nesarul
First Name: Nesarul
Last Name: Hoque

R492??????????????????????????????????????????????

Post by nesarul » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:07 pm

Dear Shaharier,
i found ICC official opinion R492 under the following heading:
Where a clause in the credit indicates the credit is "inoperative" until cleared Save document into Folder
Official Opinion R492 - 2000/01
From UCP 500. - Miscellaneous

shahriar

oops...

Post by shahriar » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:58 am

sorry....its 592 :ymblushing:

nesarul
First Name: Nesarul
Last Name: Hoque

corrected document

Post by nesarul » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:19 am

Dear,
I personally think sub article 14(c) is missing link between the situation where default rule and other event altogether. I like sub article 43(a) of UCP 500 because it helps to remove the doubt, if any:
In addition to stipulating an expiry date for presentation of documents, every Credit which calls for a transport document(s) should also stipulate a specified period of time after the date of shipment during which presentation must be made in compliance with the terms and conditions of the Credit. If no such period of time is stipulated, banks will not accept documents presented to them later than 21 days after the date of shipment. In any event, however, documents must be presented not later than the expiry date of the Credit
here two situation are exists: one is credit stipulated the time for presentation of document or default rule i.e 21 days from the date of shipment.
here first set of document presented [assume that there are original transport document according to sub article 14(c). hence the presentation and /or expiry date will be = shipment date +1+allowable presentation period i.e. 15 days or 21 days [if and where applicable] irrespective of credit stipulated an expiry date.
Cristain 3rd argument is sense logical to me : and probably practical one
As long as the document is presented until expiry date (when issuing bank has a valid undertaking to pay against complying docs) i would not raise discrepancy late presentation, or how should I call: Late representation?
but if you consider the total credit, then you will find that actual expiration of credit should be calculated on the above ways as i mentioned above and the original expiry date of the credit is only applicable where the goods is shipped on a last day of presentation.
I tend to agree with cristain 4th point but if some one raise argument especially applicant, i have no better answer to them.......
this is also my personal view.
regards
nesar