LC allows both the document

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
jabra

LC allows both the document

Post by jabra » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:03 pm

Dear Sir,

A LC calls for Bill of lading consigned to the order of issuing bank. under 47a, the LC also allows "freight forwarder bill of lading also acceptable". the presented document has both the master bill of lading and the freight forwarder bill of lading. the master bill of lading is issued to the order of agent of the freight forwarder while the freight forwarder bill of lading shows to the order of issuing bank as the consignee. should we consider this as a discrepancy? if yes, then what type of? should we discard freight forwarder bill of lading as this is "also acceptable" while master bill of lading was the primary requirement.

cristiand969
First Name: Cristian
Last Name: D.
Organization: Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Here is my view

Post by cristiand969 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:40 pm

Actually is difficult to raise discrepancy to this presentation for the simply fact that freight forwarder B/L was acceptable and the negotiating bank could have considered this document to be reviewed against the credit while the MBL was treated as additional document (even originally requested in the credit BUt it has indeed allowed alternative document to be presented). You should have specifically pointed out in the credit that when both documents are presented (MBL and FF B/L), one of them to be taken into consideration when checking document.
So, once you have a conform document requested by the credit you why you should hunt for discrepancies?

iLC

Humm

Post by iLC » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:11 pm

Though you are not clear about your bank position, i guess you are not the nominated bank, or else you could just return the master bill of lading. If you are issuing bank, then i agree with the answer given. You should disregard the master bl. But if you are the confirming bank, you should take a cautious approach.

jabra

More complication

Post by jabra » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:11 pm

Thanks for the answers. I am afraid, the situation is bit more complicated now. Careful examination reveals that the freight forwarder bill of lading is signed in this way: "signature of the issuer's agent office." as per isbp we can accept bl signed by freigt forwarder on the capacity of the freight forwarder. But about this we have no idea.

cristiand969
First Name: Cristian
Last Name: D.
Organization: Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

tO JABRA

Post by cristiand969 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:13 pm

Poor information at the beginning always causes wrong answer.
In order for you to have a good reply, pls post a copy of a document.

jabra

To cristian

Post by jabra » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:05 pm

Dear cristian,
Sorry for not being able to post the additional info on first one. During the first post i myself was unaware of the fact. But i think the second post does not affect the first. The problems are different though that affect the refusal as a whole. I will try to post the documents after weekend.