Discounting

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
nesarul
First Name: Nesarul
Last Name: Hoque
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Discounting

Post by nesarul » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:06 pm

Dear,
Why the word Discounting is not stipulated in UCP despite it uses frequently by L/C practitioner?
Regards
Nesar

bdesh
First Name: Hafizur
Last Name: Rahman
Organization: Southeast Bank Ltd

Discounting

Post by bdesh » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:04 pm

Hi,
Probably discounting relates to only the beneficiary and beneficiary's banker.
Regards

berry

part of honor?

Post by berry » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:25 pm

i think discounting is a part of honor as the bank discounts its own liability. hence its not mentioned in UCP 600

Masoom Hasan
First Name: Masoom
Last Name: Hasan
Organization: .

Discounting

Post by Masoom Hasan » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:54 pm

Dear Nesar, I am a bit agreed with you, I think Disounting is a word which relates to Deffered/ Usance LCs, where a banker / financial organisation / a party offers a discounted value of the documents (and/ or draft) to the beneficiary (for making payment presently) by imposing a discount rate on the value of the documents (and/or draft)for the time value (like as by imposing / offering a 120 days usance rate for discounting documents relates to 120 deffered LC). As the definition of Honour in the Article 2 of UCP 600 includes Deffered Payment LC (Point b in the definition) or Acceptnce LC (c in the definition), we can say that Discounting is a concept which have a relationship with hohour, but can we say that it is a part of Honour as defined in UCP 600? I want to infer a deiffernt view point here, you see according to the definition of Honour: in option b and c you need to either make a "deferred payment undertaking" (for option b) or "to accept a billl of exchange / draft" (for option c) and make payment at maturity for both the cases, but in case of Discounting you are making payment presently (with discounted value for time factor).