presigned insurance policies

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
cristiand969
First Name: Cristian
Last Name: D.
Organization: Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

presigned insurance policies

Post by cristiand969 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:02 pm

Hi all,
Will you share your opinion in the following matter
Usually, the largest insurance companies (like Lloyds) use to issue pre-signed insurance policies and these documents bear the mention:
This insurance policy is not valid unless countersigned by XXXX.
Date : _________
Signature: _________
Now my questions are:
1. whether such an insurance policy should bear in addition to the signature of the nominated party, the date when the party countersigned this document.
2. In case policy bear also this date must the date be no later than the date of shipment ?
Best regards
Cristian

Thanks and regards

iLC

not required

Post by iLC » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:08 pm

dear cris,
good question indeed. in my opinion, its not required. the requirement of UCP 600 is that the date of issuance of the insurance policy must be no later than the date of shipment. now we should consider ISBP paragraph 15 here which says

15. A document indicating a date of preparation and a later date of signing is deemed to be issued on the date of signing.

to me this also means that unless there is a data of signing, the date mentioned elsewhere is the date of issuance. not a very class analysis, but based on it i believe that there is no requirement for a date on this occasion.

comments appreciated