A combined certificate of origin constitutes a discrepancy?

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
ldt5205

A combined certificate of origin constitutes a discrepancy?

Post by ldt5205 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:55 am

LC requested goods '1000 meters of fabric as per P/I A1 and A2' and also allows partial shipment. - Presented documents all show goods as '700 meters of fabric as per P/I A1'. Except for Certificate of Origin where it is stated as '1200 meters of fabric as per P/I A1 & C2'. After enquiry, it transpires that shipment of 500 meters of fabric under P/I C2 is for the same buyer and has been settled via T/T in advance. Beneficiary has applied a combined certificate of origin for both lots of goods.Does this combined certificate of origin constitute a discrepancy?

ajoy
First Name: Ajoy
Last Name: Ghildiyal
Organization: ABN AMRO
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Wish the CO

Post by ajoy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:19 am

stated as :

700 m of fabric as per P/1 A1 and 500 m of fabric as per P/1 C2.
( or any thing in the CO which enables you to identify that the shipped goods are as per Lc and covered in this CO)

If it did and the bene was claiming payment only for 700 m fabric - partial shipment then CO would be fine.

from whta you have written I guess it does not so I am afraid it is a discrepancy technicaly.

However , I would expect the IB to waive this eventually so it boils down to a judgement call based on your relationship with the beneficiary and your knowledge of the relationship between the Applicant and bene. To be safe you could ask the IB for waiver by telex.

Good luck with the bene though. I hope they are the reasonable / understanding type....

PS : Do let us know how this ends...

shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

discrepant

Post by shahriar » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:28 am

i count this as an discrepancy based on ISBP
183. The certificate of origin must appear to relate to the invoiced goods. The goods description in the certificate of origin may be shown in general terms not in conflict with that stated in the credit or by any other reference indicating a relation to the goods in a required document.