required doc or not ?

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
loankim
First Name: Loan
Last Name: Nguyen
Organization: VIB
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

required doc or not ?

Post by loankim » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:09 pm

Dear all,

Pls give me your opinion for this situation:
Field 46A for required docs does not include cert. of quality and weight, but in field 47A stipulating that :" cert. of quality and weight must show all compositions of goods as L/C stated"

Does the bene have to present that cert ?

rgds,

abdu
First Name: Abdullah
Last Name: Sheikh
Organization: Trade Finance

Bad Issuance!!

Post by abdu » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:10 pm

Hi,

thats a clear case of bad issuance :(
If I am the beneficiary I would seek an amendment to clear if this document is required to be presented or not....

however I would look at article 14(h) would disregard this condition.

h. If a credit contains a condition without stipulating the document to indicate compliance with the condition, banks will deem such condition as not stated and will disregard it.
unquote

Best regards

shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank

yes

Post by shahriar » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:17 pm

in my opinion yes. and i think in ICC opinion yes also :)

ICC opinion R412
The fact that a requirement (documentary or otherwise) appears within field 47A of a SWIFT700 does not mean that a bank can ignore the condition on the grounds that it is an "additional instruction" field. Whilst banks should list the required documents within field 46A it is not unknown that documentary requirements have been included within field 47A.
in your case though there was no direct request for the weight certificate, i would consider it as a documentary condition. in addition the document is quite a simple one. a wise beneficiary should not look for loopholes related to documents that he / she can issue very easily. :)

ajoy
First Name: Ajoy
Last Name: Ghildiyal
Organization: ABN AMRO

In practice

Post by ajoy » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:57 am

Hi All,

I do agree with Shahriar. Although strictly technically the document is not required to be submitted, it is quite clear that the applicant wants it . The intent is clear. The bene should either go for an amendment or submit the document. As a negotiating bank we should advise the bene to submit the document although we cant point it out as a discrepancy.

This is one situtaion where common sense wins over technical issues.

Cheers

loankim
First Name: Loan
Last Name: Nguyen
Organization: VIB

thank you !

Post by loankim » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:35 am

Dear all,

your comments help me alots . i also think that is a required doc.
nice working day !