AWB- Original for Shipper

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
murteza
First Name: Syed
Last Name: Murtuza
Organization: BSI
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

AWB- Original for Shipper

Post by murteza » Tue May 19, 2009 1:09 am

Dear All DC Experts,
I Would like to hear your comments on why the Bank always require the AWB I.e Original for shipper why not it accept Original for Consignee or the carrier, as all of them are originals and have equal value. Secondly, Can a bank reject the AWB- If it is produce Original for Consignee I/O Shipper? if so on what grounds. Please reply based on the Assumption that the Bank calls for just Original AWB.
Your expert comments will help me in updating my knowledge.
Best regards
S.Murteza :)

ldt5205

RIGHT TO CHANGE NAME AND ADDRESS OF CONSIGNEE

Post by ldt5205 » Tue May 19, 2009 10:22 am

The function differs between Originals for Consignee or the carrier and for shipper.The shipper has the right to change the name and address of the consignee up to the point of actual delivery of goods to the consignee.Holding the original for shipper or consignor ,banks can minimise any chance of misdirection of goods on the journey.

Armagedo

Fully agree with ldt5205

Post by Armagedo » Tue May 19, 2009 1:11 pm

Fully agree with ldt5205.
If shipper has no original of AWB 'for shipper' there is minimum possibility to make change of route, consignee etc of the goods covered by such AWB.