ABOUT STANDBY CONFIRMATION

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
ldt5205

ABOUT STANDBY CONFIRMATION

Post by ldt5205 » Wed May 13, 2009 12:53 pm

...(b)that the confirmation is in the form of a standby i.e., that the confirming

bank will honour if the issuing bank does not honour. In other words, to honour not

against the documents listed in the credit but against presentation of copy of the

advice from the issuing bank stating that documents are compliant and the due date,

plus an indication that the issuing bank is unable to honour on the due date for

reasons other than a court order.

I wonder weather the beneficiary will accept such a standby.

shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

where is the quote from

Post by shahriar » Wed May 13, 2009 10:43 pm

interesting.. i remember the very basic theory of isp98. its rule 2d reads
(ii) If the confirmation permits presentation to the issuer, then the conformer undertakes also to honor upon the issuer’s wrongful dishonor by performing as if the presentation had been made to the conformer.
the rule simply says that confirming bank is oblige to honor if the issuer dishonors regardless of whether or not the presentation was first made to the conformer

now this rule does not require a representation to confirming bank. and thus the rule supports the view stated in the original post.

ldt5205

THE DEFINITION FROM GARY COLLYER

Post by ldt5205 » Thu May 14, 2009 7:41 am

It is the definition of standy confirmation from Gary Collyer.
It is from FAQ under UCP600 VOLII 8.4.

wongvv

What's the purposes?

Post by wongvv » Thu May 14, 2009 3:21 pm

Hi !

I have no idea :( under what circumstance the confirming bank is willing to add its confirmation not in the normal way, but opening a confirmation standby. If confirming bank likes to confine the conditions of the claims, why don't them add the conditions in their confirmation directly? (because the terms and conditions could be modified anyway)

V.V.

shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

availability

Post by shahriar » Thu May 14, 2009 10:17 pm

now i remember the case. it was a issue where the credit was not available with the confirming bank. that is the confirming bank was not a nominated bank. surely very unusual. was / is very confusing to me as well as far as it is under UCP 600 :-s