Bill Of Lading Contain On CFR Basis In Containers

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
Hwibisono
First Name: Hillyarti
Last Name: Wibisono
Organization: Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Bill Of Lading Contain On CFR Basis In Containers

Post by Hwibisono » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:26 pm

Helo,

My name is Hilly, I have some question about statement in Bill of Lading which it stated In the Letter of Credit field no. 46A (documents required) mention : Full Set of clean ship on board ocean Bill of Lading issue to the order of Bank xxxxx , mark applicant as notify party, and indicating freight prepaid on CFR basis in Container in 3 original and 3 non negotiable.

We present Bill of Lading to Negotiating Bank and send to Issung Bank , Consignee to the order of bank xxxx, and Notify Party Applicant name and address. in the Bill of Lading mentioned "freight prepaid" and "21x40" GP containers "said to contain" and mentioned detail of Container number.

Issuing Bank reject the documents and said that the Bill Lading was discrepancies " The Phrase On CFR Basis in Container " and they refuse to pay the documents.

So we your advise on the above mentioned case.
Thank you

cristiand969
First Name: Cristian
Last Name: D.

the ultimate effect...

Post by cristiand969 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:44 am

Well, it seems either the issuing bank employed a new checker (poorly prepared) or acts in bad faith.
What would be the difference in practice if CFR basis is included or not along with freight prepaid ? Would be a freight collect clause or "freight unprepaid" ? Obviously not ! When B.L stated that freight is prepaid, at least CFR terms was accomplished as CFR means cost and freight paid, right?
The doctrine of strict compliance was put into the grave by UCP 600!
The issuing bank has not basis to reject documents !

SANUSILAMIN
First Name: ALSUNOUSI
Last Name: LAMEEN
Organization: NOC, LIBYA

Re: Bill of Lading contain on CFR basis in containers

Post by SANUSILAMIN » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:03 pm

DEAR HILLY

I THINK THE MAIN REASON FOR THIS DISCREPANY IS DESCRIPTION OF GOODS WHICH SHOWN ON BILL OF LOADING NOT ACCORDING TO WHAT MENTIONED ON LC UNDER ARTICLE 45A ON LC THAT OPENED FOR YOU BY THE APPLICANT.

SO I WOULD ADVICE YOU TO SEND A COPY OF DOCS TO THE APPLICANT TO CHECK AND TELL HIM INSTRUCT THE OPENING BANK TO ACCEPT THE MENTIONED DISCREPANCIES.

I HOPE THAT BE USEFUL
I AM WAITING YOUR SOON REPLY
REGARDS
:)
Last edited by SANUSILAMIN on Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

cristiand969
First Name: Cristian
Last Name: D.

Post by cristiand969 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:00 am

Dear SANUSILAMIN
Straight for the beginning you are leaving from the assumption that document are discrepant and advice the way how the issue is to be solved, but the question was whether the documents was discrepant or not. The field 45A is not relevant to this question as is not about the description of goods in field 45 A but rather on how BL to be marked ;freight prepaid on CFR basis. Can be a "freight prepaid" made on inferior delivery terms as CFR giving the fact that CFR means COST and FREIGHT PAID/PREPAID ?

SANUSILAMIN
First Name: ALSUNOUSI
Last Name: LAMEEN
Organization: NOC, LIBYA

Post by SANUSILAMIN » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:23 am

Dear Cristiand
I want to say thank you for your explanation your comments has been very useful to me.

Fajar
First Name: Fajar
Last Name: Manggala
Organization: Bank Sinarmas

Post by Fajar » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:09 am

Dear Cristiand

Thank you for your explanation, im totally agree with you

saikumar1208
First Name: Sai kumar
Last Name: Chintakuntla
Organization: Na

Re: Bill Of Lading Contain On CFR Basis In Containers

Post by saikumar1208 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:06 pm

Freight prepaid will be marked if Incoterm choosen is either CFR or CIF. As LC is clearly stating that BL to mention freight prepaid on CFR basis. So as Bl doesnt capture the incoterm think issuing bank is raising the discrepancy. However if incoterm is mentioned in any other document as CFR then it would not be a discrepancy.