What Does Duplicate Means? Copy or Original?

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
pallavi204
First Name: pallavi
Last Name: magji
Organization: bank of america
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

What Does Duplicate Means? Copy or Original?

Post by pallavi204 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:54 pm

Dears,

Credit calls for Invoice and certificate of origin to be presented in one original plus one duplicate and packing list in one original and one copy.

Please advice duplicate means copy of document or do we require one more original as lc is specific about the copy of document for other document.

Navi
First Name: Olcay
Last Name: Özcan
Organization: Bank

duplicate,

Post by Navi » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:21 pm

Hi,

For me, to use both original and duplicate for number of a document to be presented is confusing.

As we know, when "duplicate" used alone, either 2 originals or 1 original 1 copy, acceptable.

But when LC calls for 1 original and 1 duplicate, I understand "1 original + 1 (original or copy, both acceptable).

If the issuer intended to request only "2 originals", then "2 originals" would be preferred i/o "1 original 1 duplicate".

other comments appreciated

shafi865
First Name: S. M. Shafiqur
Last Name: Rahman, CDCS
Organization: Southeast Bank Ltd.

Terminology Duplicate

Post by shafi865 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:45 pm

Hi !
At first I want to share two paragraphs of ISBP 745.
A28) Documents issued in more than one original may be marked "Original", "Duplicate", "Triplicate", "First
Original", "Second Original", etc. None of these markings will disqualify a document as an original.
A29) d (iii) When a credit requires, for example, presentation of "photocopy of invoice" or "copy of invoice" will be
satisfied by the presentation of either a photocopy, copy or, when not prohibited, an original invoice.

So according to the above reference duplicate can be construed as an original.

Regards,
Shafique