My Supplier Missed The Latest Shipment Date

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
ferasalmusa
First Name: Feras
Last Name: Almusa
Organization: self
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

My Supplier Missed The Latest Shipment Date

Post by ferasalmusa » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:59 am

Hi
I have a serious situation. ...
My supplier missed the latest shipment date and it was Very critical to send on the date we agreed upon stated on the L/C at sight . So now there is a discrepancy. My supplier asked me to amend it but I refused because the reason for the delay was that my supplier miss declared the value of the shipment coming from china and the Chinese costume held the shipment until they presented the accurate value of the shipment.
The problem is that the shipment is for a customer I have and for every day its late I’m being charged 2% ( so far i have incurred $40,000 ) in fees.
The supplier sent the shipment and sent all the documents. But now I'm running the risk of paying even more in fees if I in fact accept the shipment and deliver it to the customer. There is a risk of being even more late which will cause more fees and delays to the point where I'm losing so much.
Here is what I did:
I sent an email to my supplier and notified them that I will reduce the payment by $40,000
But the have to accept the new term asap and release the documents so I can have the freight forwarder start with processing the customs before the shipment arrives.
the supplier has 3 options
1- accept and release the document and get paid
2- deny and ask for the documents to return
3- try and negotiate with me
I asked my bank that they give them a dead line for accepting the payment by no longer than Oct 11th .
MY QUESTION IS:
What is the likely hood that they will choose option 2 ( this means leaving the money on the table and still having to deal with the shipment because it has not been surrendered to me)
Has anyone had any experience with this.
Its causing me to panic and I'm worried that they will either delay or deny instead of accepting or negotiating.
I paid them a big down payment and the remaining balance is pretty substantial (90,000)
any insight helps
Thank you

abrar
First Name: Abrar
Last Name: Ahmed
Organization: Crown Agents
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Dispute with supplier

Post by abrar » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:37 pm

I guess much would depend on whether the supplier considers that they can readily sell to another buyer at port of destination or whether they consider it to be commercially viable to repatriate the goods at their own expense