Timeframe For Honoring Complying Presentation

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
Nayeem73
First Name: Syed Nayeemuddi
Last Name: Hossain
Organization: Comm Bank of Ceylon
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Timeframe For Honoring Complying Presentation

Post by Nayeem73 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:02 am

My query is regarding Article 15. a of UCP600. The Article states "when the issuing bank determines that document is complying, it must honor".
However there is no fixed deadline to "honor" a complying presentation. If a bank has malicious intention and delays willingly to determine the complying presentation, how the beneficiary and/or negotiating bank's interest will be protected?

picant

No...

Post by picant » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:27 pm

Hi Pal,

the issuing bank has 5 days after receipt to honor a complying presentation art 16.
Other comments appreciated
Ciao

ak2expert
First Name: arun
Last Name: tripathi
Organization: icici bank

Post by ak2expert » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:50 pm

In case Issuing bank finds complying presentation ..he must honor as per payment term in letter of credit.

ak2expert
First Name: arun
Last Name: tripathi
Organization: icici bank

As per my Understanding

Post by ak2expert » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:10 pm

Hi. Pal,

There are two points to note...1st complying presentation for which issuing bank has 5 days to determine as said by picant...& 2nd point is if presentation is complying then when it would be honoured...for this article 2 point a b & c clearly mentions...
Honour means:
a. to pay at sight if the credit is available by sight payment.

b. to incur a deferred payment undertaking and pay at maturity if the credit is available by deferred payment.

c. to accept a bill of exchange ("draft") drawn by the beneficiary and pay at maturity if the credit is available by acceptance.

other's comments welcome...

Navi
First Name: Olcay
Last Name: Özcan
Organization: Bank

without delay

Post by Navi » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:29 pm

Hi everybody,

We consider LC is a sight payment LC.

5 working days period mentioned in UCP to determine whether a presentation is complying but not mentioned any time frame to honour after presentation found complying. In my opinion, applying a fixed time for instance 2 days after determining compliance, would cause payments under LC would delay extra two days. A rule not to permit any time period for payment after compliance, might be impossible due to different time zones, inner procedures of bank or country which may not make it possible to remit any funds on the same day or else.
In my opinion, after presentation found complying, issuing bank must honour without delay, as soon as possible. İf possible the same value date, otherwise following date.

Other comments appreciated

quang
First Name: minh
Last Name: nguyen
Organization: HSBC bank

Post by quang » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:17 pm

i think the issuing bank have 5 banking days to determine the document compliant or not. when issuing bank determine the document is compliant, they must honor without delay