Draft Is Showing Value In Word & Numbers Conflict

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
Anurag
First Name: Anurag
Last Name: Sethiya
Organization: TCS
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Draft Is Showing Value In Word & Numbers Conflict

Post by Anurag » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:10 pm

Dear Experts

I received import documents from China. I am playing role part of issuing bank.

Draft is showing value in words & numbers like: USD 5,106863.92 (FIVE MILLION ONE HUNDRED SIX THOUSAND EIGHT HUNDRED SIXTY THREE AND 92/100 ONLY.

I raised my discrepancy indicating value in words conflicting from value in number.

Kindly suggest your opinion

Brgds

picant

Ehm......

Post by picant » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:19 pm

Hi Pal,

first of all, is the draft required drawn on the issuing bank or applicant?
Only if drawn on applicant, and listed in the documents to be presented, it may be considered
discrepant. If required as mean to obtain the l/c proceeds, even if wrong it could be object of clarification between the involved banks, but not ground for discrepancy.
In your case is the conflict in the position of "comma", probably due to the use of different way to write decimals(e.g. Bangladesh-India). IMHO no discrepancy.
Other comments appreciated.
Ciao

gegeeee
First Name: Gega CITF, CDCS
Last Name: Topadze
Organization: Bank of Georgia

No discrepancy

Post by gegeeee » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:04 pm

Hi all,

IMHO, it will not be considered as discrepancy, I have seen many unpublished ICC opinions, and conclusions regarding such matters are the same. It is considered as typographical error, so this are not considered as discrepancies.

You should also pay attention what Picant said: "if draft is drawn on applicant, and listed in the documents to be presented, it may be considered discrepant"

Thank you.

shafi865
First Name: S. M. Shafiqur
Last Name: Rahman, CDCS
Organization: Southeast Bank Ltd.

Post by shafi865 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:46 pm

Not discrepant.