On Board Notation On Bill Of Lading

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
CDCS2015
First Name: Alex
Last Name: Soon
Organization: Oil MNC
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

On Board Notation On Bill Of Lading

Post by CDCS2015 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:11 pm

Calling out to all :

I wish to understand how shipping works in terms of when a bill of lading is issued out and when will there be a dated on-board notation. And how to tell if there is transhipment.

My own understanding from daily work as a trade finance advisor:

A bill of lading is issued by the master/captain/carrier to the shipper once all cargo had been loaded onboard the vessel. The BL will have a dated on-board notation if the vessel set off on a date later than the date the BL is issued out. Other case when BL have onboard notation is when the port of loading in DLC is mentioned under "place of receipt" field in BL or when the BL is simply a received-for-shipment BL or contain indicaion of pre-carriage.

Now the golden question: When a vessel set off from load port A, carrier/master/captain issue BL to shipper....vessel sail to load port B to load some more cargo.....do the carrier/master/captain issue another BL for the loading at load port B ?

I am asking this because ISBP B2(e)(i) & (ii) seems to suggest that there be just 1 single BL with addition of a dated on-board notation whenever a new cargo is loaded onboard. Meaning to say when cargo is loaded onboard the same vessel at load port B, the carrier/master/captain stamp a dated on-board notation on the SAME BL which was previously issued at load port A. How is this possible? Isn't there supposed to be a separate BL being issued out whenever a new cargo is loaded onboard the vessel? Do the same shipper pass the original BL from load port A to load port B for the carrier/master/captain to stamp an on-board notation when new cargo is loaded onboard the same vessel at load port B?

picant

Probably..

Post by picant » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:41 pm

Hi Pal,

probably the possibility to have a single bill of lading with on board notation for different quantity of goods at different ports is restricted to charter party bill of lading.
port to port bill of lading will be issue for every cargo at every port, and do no constitue a partial shipment if the goods
will be carried by the same vessel for the same destination.
Charter party bill of lading is more flexible, cargo will be released as per charter party terms and conditions.
However if someone has a copy of bill of lading with partial on board cargo notations, please insert it, here.
Other comments appreciated
Ciao