Letter Of Indemnity (LOI) And Discrepancy In Presentation

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
gegeeee
First Name: Gega CITF, CDCS
Last Name: Topadze
Organization: Bank of Georgia
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Letter Of Indemnity (LOI) And Discrepancy In Presentation

Post by gegeeee » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:30 pm

Hy everyone.

Hope everything is fine on your side.

I have little question, regarding LOI.

What if issuing bank pays amount under LC against presentation of Commercial Invoice and LOI. Later, originals presented but issuing bank checked it and found discrepancies, can issuing bank claim back money from Beneficiary?

Thank u in advance.

picant

No

Post by picant » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:32 pm

Hi Pal,

I dont think that a LOI will cover this situation, LOI is required becouse no original bills of lading presented,
Other comments appreciated
Ciao

gegeeee
First Name: Gega CITF, CDCS
Last Name: Topadze
Organization: Bank of Georgia
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Picant Thanks

Post by gegeeee » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:31 pm

Dear Picant,

Thank u for your reply. Lets say that LOI is made in favor of Issuing Bank not in favor of applicant. Bene presented Invoice and LOI, issuing Bank payed amount. Later applicant could not repay sum to issuing bank and issuing Bank required original B/L to be sent to him. Issuing bank checked B/L's and found discrepancies, i guess issuing bank can claim money back from Bene.

What is your opinion?

The things are different if LOI is made in favor of Applicant. This situation dramatically changes everything. In such case issuing bank is not entitled to claim back money in similar case.