Cancellation of LC and Re-open to another Beneficiary using same LC No.

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
mijanlt23004
First Name: Mijanur
Last Name: Rahman
Organization: Blckstone
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Cancellation of LC and Re-open to another Beneficiary using same LC No.

Post by mijanlt23004 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:48 pm

Dear Experts,
Please Comment for the following Case.
Case: Bank I open an irrevocable LC to the Beneficiary B1 through Advising Bank A1. After 60 days the applicant inform that beneficiary B unable to make shipment. He also approaches to re-open the LC using same LC No. and issue date to another Beneficiary B2 through another advising Bank A2. Please note that B2 also agree to received the same.
i) Is there any problem for the issuing bank I if it cancel the first one (After receiving confirmation from B1 through SWIFT of A1) and re-open the LC using same reference No. and date?
ii) Are there any problem for huge difference in reference date(issue date) and transmission date?
iii) what are the possible risk for issuing Bank for the above scenario.
Thanks.
Mijan

shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank

no problem if..

Post by shahriar » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:31 am

LC number is just a reference. There is no rule in UCP on it. So if issuing bank can accomodate, i see no problem. Just a word of caution. If the LC process involves some regulatory reporting then it might be difficult for the issuing bank

hardy2175
First Name: hardy
Last Name: singh
Organization: bank

Post by hardy2175 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:10 pm

Although there is no ICC rule prohibiting such reissue of LC however would the internal process and system of the Bank permit such a reissue with the same reference number.Why does the reference number have to be same when shipment has not yet been done?

yousefi
First Name: zabihollah
Last Name: yousefi
Organization: bank

Post by yousefi » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:12 pm

i think the reason that you insist to re-open the same lc to new benef with the same lc number is that applicant under this circumstance dose not need to get import license again,i think there is no risk for issuing Bank for the above scenario.