Usance Interest Over And Above The Value Of LC

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
Abhishek009
First Name: Abhishek
Last Name: Dutta
Organization: Punjab National Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Usance Interest Over And Above The Value Of LC

Post by Abhishek009 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:58 pm

I am often in receipt of request from parties where the terms of LC states that -

" Usance Interest will be borne over and above the value of LC "Suppose I issue an LC for $100 , usance Interest is $ 10 , now my total amount comes $ 110 .

The documents are in order and there is no discrepance on the part of beneficiary , now how much amount do I as a LC Issuing Bank supposed to pay in case of default due to non payment of bill on due date.

Is my liability restricted to $ 100 , if yes how can I safeguard my Bank's interest ? Can the Beneficiary's bank demand the interest amount ( over and above my LC value ) which the applicant has promised to pay under the LC ??

Plz clarify ?

picant

quantify

Post by picant » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:45 pm

Hi Pal,

as p.e. the issuing bank stated that the freight will be paid, it must quantify the maximum amount, in order to book
correctly the credit risk.
In your case you me be aware of the maximun interests to pay, under a simple calculation. Maximum so minor amounts are possible too.

Ciao

shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank

one question

Post by shahriar » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:23 pm

I have one question. Under what scenerio you are considrting non payment on maturity date and paying interest for that

hardy2175
First Name: hardy
Last Name: singh
Organization: bank

Post by hardy2175 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:45 pm

The basic question is what is the liablity of the issuing bank.Is it just the principal amount or principal + interest.
The followup question to the above query is if ' all charges are on the applicant' and the charges are not clearly defined and one of the presenting banks/ negotiating bank demands excessive charges and the applicant does not pay then is it the liability of the issuing Bank.

This is a very important question . I would like to invite views on the matter .