Can LC Issuing Bank Carry Out Both Functions

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
Abhishek009
First Name: Abhishek
Last Name: Dutta
Organization: Punjab National Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Can LC Issuing Bank Carry Out Both Functions

Post by Abhishek009 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:11 pm

I am new here ( New to LC Business ) but have a query which is killing me , experts plz clarify....

I am a Banker of say Bank ABC , I have an applicant X who wants to open an LC in favor of Y where both X & Y are my customer , so here ABC bank is the LC Opening Bank as well LC Advising Bank ( And of course both X and Y are of the same branch as well)

The beneficiary Y wants to discount a bill drawn on X ( of the same Branch ) ca this operation be permitted ?

I know we can issue LC on behalf of other Branches of the same Bank , but can we do it for the same Branch ?

Plz Pardon my ignorance #:-S

picant

Re: CAN LC ISSUING BANK CARRY OB BOTH FUNCTIONS

Post by picant » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:24 am

Hi Pal,

I dont see an issue. The problem is that you are risking a relationship. Then I think it is a domestic l/c, may be valid with invoice and packing list only.
I will word the l/c in the way the simpliest possible, obtaining authorization specially if you pay someone in advance.
I am involved in this type of l/c, but only as issuing and advising bank at the moment. In the next future I will see it
working, hoping without big problems.
Ciao

Abhishek009
First Name: Abhishek
Last Name: Dutta
Organization: Punjab National Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Re: CAN LC ISSUING BANK CARRY OB BOTH FUNCTIONS

Post by Abhishek009 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:43 pm

Indeed it is a domestic LC ( Inland LC ) ,I was getting a lot of those and worrying if there is any restriction for the same...

Thanx for the clarification picant :D