Does “To Order” Required In Endorsement Of A B/L

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
ANGE
First Name: ANGE
Last Name: CUBEDDU
Organization: COMPANY
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Does “To Order” Required In Endorsement Of A B/L

Post by ANGE » Mon May 04, 2015 9:19 pm

Let me have your advice about the following :
When a company X has got a B/L “to the order of X” and is required to endorse the B/L in favor of Y. The company X must put its stamp and signature on the back of the document. Is the company X obliged to add “to the order of Y”?? In my opinion no, but if “to the order of Y” is not indicated together with the stamp and the signature, Y will not be in a position to endorse again the B/L in favor of Z.
Let me have your advice.

mohitshukla801
First Name: mohit
Last Name: shukla
Organization: KOTAK MAHINDRA BANK

endorsement of b/l

Post by mohitshukla801 » Wed May 06, 2015 7:30 pm

Dear Friend

As per my understanding of the mentioned case, company X is not obliged to mention "to the order of Y" but in this case document is straight consigned to company Y and company Y cannot endorse it further.
Other advices are awaited :-? .

Rgds
Mohit

lijiregi
First Name: LIJI
Last Name: VARUGHESE
Organization: NOORBANK

ENDORSEMENT OF A B/L

Post by lijiregi » Thu May 28, 2015 5:05 pm

Company X is not obliged to endorse as "to the order of Y" and can simply blank endorse with their sign and signature.since the B/L issued is made "to order of X" and not straight consigned to company X i.e. the shipper ,so it can be further endorsed to company Z by the company Y(once the B/L is released by the issuing bank to company Y).
Regards,
Liji