Can A L/C Be Issued In Favor Of The Confirming Bank?

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
mirela
First Name: mirela
Last Name: bursucanu
Organization: isp
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Can A L/C Be Issued In Favor Of The Confirming Bank?

Post by mirela » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:32 pm

Hello,

I'm dealing with the issuance of an import L/C, which at the applicant's request has to be issued in favor of the beneficiary/seller's bank which also is confirming this L/C. Is it possible, have anyone encountered similar L/Cs?

Thank you in advance,
Mirela

ZHMWCN
First Name: ZHANG
Last Name: MINGWEI
Organization: COMMCNSH

The necessary of the bank as bene

Post by ZHMWCN » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:44 pm

Pls provides more information on under contract and ask applicant the reason why the lc must be issued in such form.

Navi
First Name: Olcay
Last Name: Özcan
Organization: Bank

very interesting case...

Post by Navi » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:59 pm

we sometimes issue LCs for ourselves, i.e. applicant=issuing bank.

If I am not wrong, in this case beneficiary=confirming bank. Confirmation means definite undertaking of the confirming bank to beneficiary to honour a complying presentation. Well, if this is the case, the LC not necessarily to be issued as confirmed LC as receiving bank and beneficiary are the same party :).

However, the beneficiary (sellers bank) may request issuing bank to authorize them either to debit their account (in case they hold an account for issuing bank) or claim reimbursement from reimbursing bank directly for complying presentation. This may be possible but anyway, it is not a must, to call this LC as confirmed LC.

Other comments appreciated