Endorsement Date Of Insurance Is Later Than Date Of Shipment

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
dieselica
First Name: Ivana
Last Name: Uzelac
Organization: Zagrebacka banka dd
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Endorsement Date Of Insurance Is Later Than Date Of Shipment

Post by dieselica » Wed May 28, 2014 2:53 pm

Hi to everyone!

According to UCP600, art. 28.e., insurance document should be issued or, at least, indicate that the cover is effective from a date not later than the date of shipment.
ISBP paragraph A13 says that that document showing later date of signing that the the date of issuance will be deemed to have be issued on the date of signing and paragraph K11 says that in the absence of any other date, date of countersignature will be deemed to be the evidence of the effective date of the insurance coverage.

We've received insurance policy that shows date of issue as May, 12th which is also date of shipment. However, on the back side of the document, there is an endorsement (stamp and signature) with indicated date May, 15th (date later than the shipment date).

Would you consider it as a discrepancy (insurance coverage effective from a date later than the date of shipment) according to ISBP A13 or would you consider document complying as per UCP600 28e?
Also, would you consider this endorsement as a countersignature or not?

Thank you kindly in advance for any help you can give me to clear this matter for me. :)

Regards

picant

Insurance, effective date....

Post by picant » Fri May 30, 2014 11:00 am

Hi Pal,

IMHO, endorsement later than shipment date hasno meaning in the effective validity of insurance.
Other comments appreciated
Ciao

Navi
First Name: Olcay
Last Name: Özcan
Organization: Bank

No discrepancy

Post by Navi » Fri May 30, 2014 11:48 am

Hi,

I agree with Picant.

In my opinion, endorsement and countersignature are different issues. Countersignature (if required) is necessary to validate the document but endorsement has no relation with validity of insurance. By endorsing a document, the party who has the right to claim under the document is being changed. Therefore, before endorsement the document is still valid and covers the risks stated thereon.
regards

mskhan42
First Name: MUHAMMAD SAQIB
Last Name: KHAN
Organization: BANQUE DE COMMERCE

INSURANCE CERTIFICATE/POLICY

Post by mskhan42 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:09 pm

Hi,
If insurance documents not specifically mention start date of insurance coverage,
it will a discrepancy, infact we have received same discrepancy in past.
Regards,
M. Saqib khan