ICC Opinion TA770 On Any Chinese Port And Taiwan

The forum is dedicated to all who deals with LCs. Please share your experiences, problems and opinions with us. You are requested to be confined to LC related issues only. Let us together discover the beauty of Letter of Credit. Thank and regards – admin; besttradesolution.com
picant

ICC Opinion TA770 On Any Chinese Port And Taiwan

Post by picant » Mon May 06, 2013 9:38 pm

Hi Pals,

Opinion TA770 rev stated that if the l/c requires port of loading or port of discharge as "any Chinese port" the insertion of Hong Kong must be accepted.
I heard that in effect Taiwan or other "Chinese" town could be accepted too.
Your comments please?

shahriar
First Name: Shahriar
Last Name: Masum
Organization: Mutual Trust Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

difficult question

Post by shahriar » Tue May 07, 2013 10:25 am

Dear Picant,

A very tough question to answer. I believe ICC opinion TA770 is more political than theoretical / practical. I would therefore refrain from making any comment on it. Pure theoretically, IMHO, we can not generalize the opinion for Taiwan.

regd
shahriar

WanDan
First Name: Wan
Last Name: Dan
Organization: Bank
Filter: Two Plus Two =: 4

Ports of Call

Post by WanDan » Tue May 14, 2013 4:42 pm

Hi,

I agree with Shahriar. This issue was a big topic at the ICC Meeting in Lisbon.

BTW I always wondered how the phrase "any Chinese seaport" or e.g. "any European seaport" could be agreed on between the parties. There should be a major difference if the goods are discharged in HK or in Shanghai if the importer is based e.g. in Guangzhou. Same goes for Lisbon and Hamburg if the importer is based e.g. in Berlin... The transport via truck is a lot more expansive than by vessel.

Cheers,
Dan